9. Everyone needs a Val

Diana

It's already been a week since I had dinner with Dante, detective Daniel and Dante's friends and I was still thinking about our little pool game. Although we didn't even get to the game.

I shouldn't even be thinking about him in the way I was. I wanted him. I was supposed to hate him but I wanted him to do unspeakable things to me. Was that right?

Of course not, you, idiot.

Since it was Saturday, all I wanted to do was forget about Dante and relax.

"Mama, today's Aunt Val's birthday. Can we just give her a card and stay home?" Fiona nags.

I had forgotten all about today. I sigh, "You know your aunt Fiona."

Val liked to party. A lot. And especially on her birthday. And remembering that, I knew I was not going to be doing any relaxing today.

It isn't long before I get a call from Val. "Guess what today is?"

"Happy birthday!"

"Thank you, girl! We're going to the club tonight. Get your ass out of bed and don't give me an excuse. My husband planned the whole thing. We're going to go shopping, get our nails done and to top it off, we're going to the club. And My husband said he'll hang out with Fiona while we're gone!" She yells happily.

Fiona shakes her head furiously. "Well, I don't want to force Fiona on him. He d-"

"Nonsense! It's settled. Pick you up in twenty!" She then hangs up.

Fiona slams her head on my bed dramatically. I laugh as I get up and kiss the top of her head before saying, "Sorry, pretty girl. I tried. Once Val has something set, there's not much you can do to stop it."

"But Uncle Edward is so 'borin. All he does is talk about stupid smart people stuff."

I go to my bathroom and start brushing my teeth, "He can't be that boring."

"Mama, the last time y'all hung out you fell asleep."

"I thought we weren't going to bring that up." I spit in the toilet, gargle, and return to her. "Look, you do this for Mama and I'll make you dinner tonight."

"That's even worse." She groans.

I laugh at her reaction and go to my closet. Choosing two outfits, I show them to her.

"Which one? Tight shirt with baggy jeans or regular blouse with black skirt."

She rubs her chin in deep thought, before answering, "Jeans cause you can put your taser in your pocket."

I nod in agreement, putting the other outfit back. "Good thinking."

"What's the rules for going out Mama?"

"No judging random people, don't pick up random things off the street and don't call every ten minutes. I remembered."

Every time I went out with my friends they said I did too many of those things and I decided I wanted to change it.

"Good."

I quickly get changed in the bathroom and when I'm done, Fiona is playing with her feet on my bed.

"How do I look?"

"Like a daisy on spring morning Mama."

"Thank you and stop picking your feet on my bed, nasty little girl." I say, walking to the kitchen. She follows me

"You're so pretty, even doves are jealous. "

"What do you want, Fiona?"

"Why would I want something? I'm just complimented my beautiful, stunn-"

"You never compliment me twice in a row. What's up?"

"Okay, Tuesday there's no school and everyone is going to Alisha's party and I really wanna go. Please, Mama please!"

"Oh, you know I have to go to work on weekdays. I wish you could go. You know I want you to have fun. But I would need to go with you. "

"Why can't aunt Lily go with me?"

"She's visiting her mom."

"Aunt Audrey?"

"Has work."

"Aunt Val?"

"Hell no. She would get into more trouble than you."

"Mama p-"

"Fiona no. End of discussion, don't argue with me on it, alright?" I respond frustratingly.

I hated telling her no, but if it meant she wouldn't be going to a party alone and risk something happening to her, then I had to tell her no. I trusted Fiona. I just didn't trust the situation.

She groans but listens and goes to her room to get ready. Soon Val arrives and after dropping Fiona off with Edward, picks up Audrey and Lily, we start off with Val's first destination. We go to a dress store and watch Val try on dresses for tonight. She chooses a bright pink sparkly dress and we take pictures before moving on to the second destination.

In that nail salon, the manager gives Val a discount after Val tells her it is her birthday. She gets matching nails and the rest of us just get plain nude ones.

Then it is time for the party to begin. Music pounds loudly and it has a funny smell in the dim light as we step into the strip club. I try not to touch anyone as we walk by. I keep my hand in my pocket with my taser in it in case anyone wants to try me tonight. I was already on edge and I didn't actually know why.

"It's my mother fucking birthday!" Valentina shouts as we take a spot in the front as Male strippers perform.

We all shout for her and begin throwing ones at the strippers. I can't help but notice none of them look as good as Dante.

Wait, why am I even comparing them?

"It's your birthday?" One of the men says to Val.

"Yep!"

The man nods and whispers to the other men. He returns quickly, "Those your friends?"

"Damn right!" Val replies, continuing to dance.

The man leaves again and whispers to the men again. Shortly after, another man leads up to a private room and I gasp when there are four men on a small stage with four chairs.

They sit us down and smile, "On the house. Happy birthday." The man says before walking away.

We cheer and watch the male strippers perform. At one point one gets in front of Lily and she screeches, "Oh my goodness." She covers her eyes and we laugh.

"Show us some skin!" Audrey shouts, tossing a five.

After a while, I check the time and see it is almost twelve. I get up,

"I had a wonderful time, Val. Happy birthday, you're an amazing friend, but I have to get going alright!" I shout over the music.

"Okay, you need a ride?" She asks seriously.

I wave a dismissive hand. "I'll be fine. I'm taking the taxi."

"Okay, call me when you get home, okay?"

"I will!"

•••

Hi guys

Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and if you did please, vote, comment and share.