26. Heartbreaks

Diana

It's been two weeks since I told Dante I loved him and I didn't care. I wasn't sad. I couldn't care less.

Who cares if I love him? Who gives a shit? Not me, that's for sure. He's not in my life anymore and I'm more than happy about it.

I moved on from it like it never happened. Fiona and my friends continue to ask about him almost daily, but I change the subject. Infact I change the subject at any mention or anything that came close to Dante. But who cared? Not I.

"Go Fiona!"  I shout, as Fiona hits the ball.

This was her first volleyball game, and I wanted to come. She had told me not to be loud, but I didn't care. I was loving this. Watching my daughter destroy those rats she called the other team.

I stuff my mouth with the popcorn I had brought and hear Val and Audrey sigh. They told me I have started binge eating since that day but I don't believe that. Besides, that isn't even what binge eating is. All I do is eat whenever something happens. I call it cheap therapy.

"Diana, you have a piece of chocolate on your cheek." Audrey says and reaches for my cheek.

I swat her hand away, "Don't touch me." I say more aggressively than needed.

I wasn't liking her right now. I wasn't particularly liking the world right now either. But Audrey had my blood boiling almost every time I saw her. It was like ever since I told her about Dante and I, she's been acting more bitchy than usual.

For example, this morning after breakfast, we were all getting ready. I went to the bathroom to see how my outfit looked. Audrey follows me in the bathroom and when I think I'm looking at least decent, she tells me I've gotten bigger and my jeans were looking tighter. You're not supposed to point that out right? Besides, it was healthy weight.

"Who's number seven? I think she's new." I hear a boy say behind us.

"I don't know but she got a fat a-"

I stand up and turn around angrily. "She has a fat, what?" I shout and the two boys' eyes go wide.

"Who are you?"

I lean forward, "Who am I? You listen here you scumball little boy. You are not to speak that way about my daughter again or I promise I w-"

I try to reach for one of the boys shirts but feel a hand on my stomach. They pull me back.

"Diana, Diana, their kids!" says Val.

"Okay? They're talking as if they've had a wife, three kids and a dog named Totò."

"I'm sure they didn't mean it, right?"

The boys don't answer, so I lean forward but Val pulls me back again.

"Right?" She asks louder.

"Yes." They mumble.

"See, let's just sit back down and enjoy Fiona's first game alright?"

With one last glare I sit back down and begin stuffing my mouth with popcorn and chocolate again.

The alarm goes off declaring Fiona's team has won.

Val, Audrey, me and Fiona's school members stand up, cheering in joy. I smile proudly when I see Fiona's teammates lift her up, leading her to the locker room.

Around twenty minutes later everybody is leaving and we are waiting for Fiona at the car.

"Did ya see me mama?" She asks running to the car.