27. The L Word

Dante

"I'm hungry." Micheal says as if I just needed to know.

I switch the channel in irritation. "You're always fucking hungry. Go make a sandwich or something. Or better yet, get the hell out."

Mike has been camped out in my house for a week now. He claimed he was doing this 'for me', saying he didn't want me to go out and do something stupid. Which I wasn't going to do.

Right now, all I wanted to do was smoke a bunch of weed and eat a bean and cheese burrito as I watched Me Before You. But I couldn't do that since I was trying to quit smoking because of Diana and Mike wouldn't leave me alone for more than an hour.

"Yeah, but it's so far." He groans

Lazy motherfucker.

I get up and walk to the kitchen. "I'm only making this so you can get the hell off my couch."

Plus, I was actually hungry myself. I hadn't cooked a lot since the wedding. Infact, I hadn't cooked anything since the wedding. I only cooked when I was happy and the last time I was happy was when I was with Diana the day before the wedding.

I decided to make soup. Taking the tomatoes and the cutting board, I grab a knife and begin cutting. On the second chop, I accidentally cut myself.

"Fuck." I mumble, wiping the blood that was starting to appear.

"You alright bro?" Mike asks, still facing the television.

"Yeah, I'm good."

I didn't like blood in the kitchen. It messed up my whole process. Diana always made me wear these itchy blue gloves when I was cooking because she was all about safety first. It annoyed me because I hadn't hurt myself in a while, so I didn't understand why I was now. The only time I wasn't hurting myself was when I'm with Diana.

I pause and stare at the knife with a smile.

When I'm with Diana! That's it, you fucking idiot!

That's what I needed! I've been looking for something to convince me these feelings weren't fake and this was it.

I drop the knife and hurriedly rush to Mike. "I gotta go. You can handle yourself, yeah?"

Mike raises his head up in concern. "You good? What's going on?"

"Yeah, I gotta go, like now. I fucked up badly. You can stay here, right?"

"Yeah, what going on t-"

"Thanks man!" I reply, grabbing my keys and rushing to my car. Soon I am on the road. Going faster than I should be, I glance behind me now and then to make sure I am going the right way.

In less than ten minutes, I reach her house. After locking the car, I jog up to the door.

"Dante?" she says opening the door, with a confused expression.

I step inside and sit on her couch as my head feels as though it is on a rollercoaster or something.

"You're Diana's best friend, right?"

She stands in front of me, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, and I can tell she has just woken up.

"Yes. And I shouldn't be talking to you. It's girl code." she replies, folding her arms.

"This is important. I need your help Lilah."

"Lily! My name's Lily!"

Shit, I need to remember that.