16. Rest in Peace

Dante

"Everyone knows what to do, correct?"

"Yeah. Fast and smooth. We went over this boss." Darrel replied.

I rub my hands together and nod, "Right."

Micheal looks over at me and furrows his eyebrows, "You alright?"

I continue to rub my hands and start to walk upstairs. "Yeah, I'm good. I'll see you guys tonight."

Everyone starts to get up from the couch and walk out of the house. When they are all gone, I make my way upstairs. Laying on the bed I try to keep cool.

Tonight was the night. The night I had to kill Carter and I would be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out.

Since I woke up this morning I have had a sinking feeling in my stomach. My hands were sweating nonstop and my heart was pounding out of my chest.

I didn't want to murder my own brother, but it wasn't like I had a choice. I could risk going to prison from Carter ratting the whole thing out or risk going to prison for murdering Carter. The most reasonable one was the first one, but I knew we wouldn't get caught if I killed Carter. We had done this kind of thing countless times and never once came close to getting caught.

I just wanted to get this all over with. Then all I would have to do is worry about Daniel and once he was gone, I could move on with my life and forget about all this shit. Maybe even go on a vacation.

I go back downstairs and find things to do to pass time. I had told everyone to meet me at the restaurant I was going to meet Carter at. I would have dinner with him, take him outside, pretending to walk around the city. While I was doing this, everyone else would get ready. Making sure no one was around, the driver was nearby, then I would kill him.

This reminded me I had yet to make the call to Carter.

Guess I should do that now.

I take my phone out and search for his contact name. After a minute, I find him and dial his number. He answers after the second ring.

"Dante?" He asks surprised.

I try to sound normal as I speak. "What's up, man? How have you been?"

"You saw me at dinner."

"I know, I know. But I just wanted to check up on you."

"Since when?"

"You're my big brother Carter. We've been at each other's throats since we were kids. I've decided we should end it. Let's start over."

He gets louder, "Since when? Dad put you up to something, didn't he?"

I fake laugh before responding, "Nah, man. I just want to be cool with my brother again. You never know when you're going to die. So why not before it's too late."

I wanted to give him a hint. Some kind of way to warn him.

But he doesn't catch on, instead he responds, "Are you sure dad didn't put you up to something? Why are you acting... nice?"

"I'll tell you what. To show you I'm serious, why don't we go out for dinner tonight. Catch up as brothers. "

He takes a minute to respond, "Fine." He says after a while.

"Cool. Meet me at the restaurant by the bowling place."

"Rossetas?"

"Yeah, that one." I responded before hanging up.