7. How we met

Diana

As I stop the basket, Valentina turns to me, "Could you pass me that glass, Diana?"

The wine glass is on the shelf closer to her, so I shake my head as a woman moves past me. "Val, you're closer to it than me. Grab it yourself."

Val rolls her eyes, "Is it because I'm black?" There are people around us when she says this and they all stare at me.

I shake my head with a hand raised, "I'm not racist guys, don't worry. She's just in a silly, goofy mood." I glare at Val and push the basket away from the glasses. After she grabs it as they go back to what they were doing.

Val follows me and smirks. I roll my eyes and ask, "You just love doing that to me, don't you?"

Val did that to me everytime we went to a grocery store. She liked to see the look of embarrassment on my face when everyone would stare.

"Yep."

Fifteen minutes later, Valentina, Audrey, Lily, Fiona, and I had gotten everything we needed for tonight.

Last night after Dante's Casino opening, in the car, he brought up the dinner we were supposed to be having with our friends and Daniel. After a game of rock paper scissors, I was the one to go first.

As we loaded the bags and got in the car, I knew it was only a matter of time before one of the girls would ask about the mysterious man that had suddenly appeared in my life.

"So... Mama, who's the guy at dinner tonight?" Fiona asks just as I sit down. Lily takes the wheel as the rest of us take the other seats.

"Yeah. One day, you're single and rejecting any man that crosses your path. Now you're engaged?" Says Audrey.

"Okay, but-" Valentina leans down and whispers in my ear, "How's the sex? Is he domina-"

"My kid is sitting right next to you, Val!"

"Yeah, I don't wanna hear about Mama's boyfriend's pickler." Fiona complains, fake vomiting.

"Is he good though?" Audrey asks and I facepalm.

Lily turns down the road as she speaks. "As long as she is happy. That's all that matters. "

"Lily's right. I am happy, so don't ask me anything else."

I only say this because I wouldn't have an answer for anything else. It was already bad enough I felt bad for pretending the relationship between Dante and I was real. I hated lying to my friends. But that was the deal. I needed to keep my end of the deal if I wanted the money.

We talk about other things as Lily drives us to her house. She wanted the dinner to be held at her house and after refusing about three times, I agreed.

Once we arrive, Fiona goes to her room in Lily's house while the rest of us set up the table. I had decided on salad for tonight, since that was about the only thing I could make.

I finish the salad quickly and when I go to the table, I see Lily has ordered pizza and brownies.

"I told you the salad would work, Lily."

"I know, I know, but I figured the pizza would fill them up, you know."

"And the brownies?"

"Everybody loves brownies, Diane." She says, smiling proudly.

I roll my eyes and smile, "Alright fine but I don't want you helping after dinner or I swear I'll hurt you Lily!" I reply just as the doorbell rings.