20. Target guy sucks

Dante

After Carter's death my emotions had skyrocketed. One day I was sad and grieving. The next I was angry at everything and everyone that passed me.

My dad's reaction at the funeral hadn't helped, either. His face after seeing Carter's dead body in the casket was one of pure joy. That was the happiest I had ever seen him and it made me sick to my stomach.

Today has started off better than others since his death. Yesterday, hanging around Fiona and Diana helped me too. I had woken up sad, and I decided to surprise Diana. The smile on her face when she came home was a thing I wanted to see every day.

Right now, I was burying myself in work for a distraction not to think about my brother. I guess it was a good thing, since I wasn't going to have much time to work with Ma's birthday party tomorrow. She was also another person I was dreading to see.

My dad, Carter and I never discussed feelings or emotions, none of that crap. If we were sad, we had to deal with it ourselves. If we were mad someone else would get mad so we would have to lose the attitude. And any emotion after that didn't exist. But ma was different. She liked expressing feelings. And I knew she was going to want that from us tomorrow.

As I am signing something, I hear pounding on my front door.

What the hell?

I grab the gun out of my desk drawer and stuff it in my pants before rushing downstairs. Holding it with one hand, I open the door with the other.

"Diana?" I let go of the gun and draw a relieved breath.

Fiona appears on the side of her and I open the door wide enough for them to come in. They do, and I close the door behind them.

"Let me put this up first." I walk up the stairs and hear them follow behind. After putting the gun back in the drawer, I turn around to go back to the living room but stop in my tracks.

I look closer at Diana as her and Fiona stand in front of the desk. She hadn't insulted me when they woke in or said anything sarcastic, and now her eyes were narrowed and she was tapping her fingers against her leg. Her face was also slightly red.

"You okay?"

She doesn't reply and only turns to Fiona. I turn my attention to Fiona and notice tear marks on her cheeks.

She's been crying?

I move closer and see marks on her cheek, neck, arm and a long one on her hand.

"Someone hit you, Fiona?"

"Tell him what happened, Fiona." Diana finally speaks.

Fiona sits on one of my office chairs, but Diana remains standing. I sit at my desk.

"What happened, Fiona? You can tell me."

Fiona's leg begins to shake, and she wipes her eyes. "After me and Mama got lunch, she went to the bathroom in the restaurant. She told me not to and I shoulda just listened. I went outside to wait for her and I started walkin around the block. Then this guy came. He worked at the Target next to the restaurant and every time me and Mama went he always gave me creepy looks. I thought he was just saying hi, but he covered my mouth and started hitting me and I tried to hit em back but he was too big. He took my money and started touching ma boobs and was about to put his hand in my pants but mama came out and stopped him. He ran away and was too fast for her to stop him, but the money dropped thankfully. I'm sorry mama I should have just listened to you!" She begins to cry and Diana sits next to her.

Holding Fiona in her arms, Diana rubs Fiona's back. "Hey, don't you blame yourself for what that sicko did. I shouldn't have left you alone like that."