4. Lies, lies and more lies

Diana

"Momma, are you going to work today?" Fiona asks as she throws her backpack on.

"Yes. Momma has work today Fiona."

That, technically, wasn't exactly a lie. I was going to work. Just not as a nurse today. I was able to get the day off. Since my boss was married to Valentina, it wasn't as hard to get some days off. That was the only advantage of working as a nurse in the Southern Springs Hospital.

Today I was going to meet Dante at the police station for questions with the detective. He had sent me the address last night after his little drop by.

I didn't want to be late, so I hurriedly threw my hair in a ponytail and picked up my bag as I had already gotten dressed. With Fiona dressed, we were ready to roll. We walk out of the apartment and I lock the door. Lily is already outside, ready to take Fiona to school. I was extremely grateful she was able to take her today.

"Are you sure I can't drop you off to wherever you're going, Diana?" She asks as Fiona gets in the car.

"Yep. I'm absolutely fine."

"You know I'd be happy to ta-"

"I know Lily. Trust me. I appreciate the offer, but I'm good. I can get there myself perfectly fine. You just make sure you get my baby to school safely."

I didn't want Lily to get suspicious when she saw I needed to go to the police station.

With one last goodbye, they drive off and I don't waste any time rushing off to the bus stop. Since it was nearby, I was there in no time. Now the hard part was waiting for the bus. I didn't know whether it would come in fifteen minutes or thirty. That was usually the schedule. And since it was already eight thirty, and Dante said to be there before nine, I prayed it was fifteen.

Taking my headphones, I change my playlist on my phone to soft tunes as I wait for the bus to arrive. That was really all I ever listened to. My life is always chaotic. With raising a feisty, twelve-year-old girl with a southern accent and a personality of a middle-aged man, life wasn't exactly peaceful. As well as being a nurse and not to mention the sudden hot, egomaniac Mafia boss who had just entered my life. I hated him to the core, but he made that same core feel some type of way.

I didn't understand how someone that good looking could be such an asshole. But again, they usually were.

My thoughts are interrupted when a Black Maserati stops in front of the bus stop.

The windows roll down and I see Dante. Wearing black shades. I see his mouth move, but I can't hear a word that comes out of it.

"What?" I ask. His mouth moves again, but I still hear nothing come out.

"What?" I ask again, still not hearing anything.

"Huh?" I take my headphones out and pause the music.

"Get in the fucking car!" I finally am able to hear him shout.

I get up from the bus stop and walk over to his car. Quickly getting in the passenger's seat.

"I told you I could get there myself."

I hated when people assumed I couldn't handle myself as if I hadn't been doing it my whole life.

"And I would have gladly let you do so. "

"Then why are you here?"

"The detective is going to be asking us questions on whether we're legit or not."

I could have sworn he had just told me this yesterday.

"We're going to have to know a little about each other if we want it to go well. The more we know, the less time we'll have to spend engaged."