25. Married.. or not?

Dante

"Let's just get this over with alright?" I told the DJ for the wedding before walking into the dressing room.

I hadn't been in the mood for about a week now. I was pissed we even had to do this whole fake wedding bullshit. I said I never wanted to get married and if I did, I wouldn't have wanted it like this.

It wasn't even worth it. After Carter's death, I wasn't exactly feeling the whole mafia legacy bullshit. My dad cared about all of that. He wanted this whole mafia shit to last generations, but it all just seemed stupid to me now. Ordering dozens of men and sometimes women to go out and do illegal things, risk their lives for you, it was plain buffoonery.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the weapons and money, no doubt. I also liked hurting people, but only when necessary. For example, the perv that tried to rape and mug Fiona, I liked that. He deserved that. The family that was out to get mama a few years ago. I liked that. They deserved that. But Carter, no. He didn't deserve that, and I damn sure didn't like it. 

I had about an hour until Diana and I would officially be married according to the law. Everything was already ready. Food, wine, decorations, seats, and the guests were arriving soon.

"You really gonna go through with this man?" Micheal asks as I put my tuxedo jacket on.

"What choice do I have, Mike?"

He doesn't respond, and I take his silence as an answer.

~~~

The Priest begins as Diana looks around at the guests. Her face has an unreadable expression, completely different from the smile she has been wearing for the past weeks.

Diana has actually been the only person keeping me from being angry with everything and everyone. I had expected her to be panicking and stressing about the whole thing, but it seemed like she was the calm one. It was like we had reversed roles. I hated it and loved it at the same time.

"Dear friends and family, we are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Diana Ambrose and Dante Stone in marriage. In the years they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife."

I hear one of Diana's friends grumble something and Daniel only smirks.

God, can this go any slower.

Diana begins biting her nails and when she notices I am staring, she looks away and takes her nails out of her mouth. Only to start playing with the hem of her dress.

I can tell something is up as the priest continues, "Diana and Dante, today you choose each other before your family and friends, to begin your life together. For all the tomorrows that follow, you will choose each other over and again, in the privacy of your hearts. Let your love and friendship guide you as you learn and grow together. Through your new partnership, may you triumph over the challenges in your path. Through the comfort of loving arms, may you always find a safe place to call home."

Diana's friend Lilah, I think, hands her a ring and Micheal hands mine to me. I take Diana's hand and slowly put the fake ring on her ring finger and she does the same to me.

When the priest asks if we would like to say our vows, we lie and say we want to do it in private.

Holding hands, the priest turns to me, "Do you Dante Stone take Diana Mandi Ambrose to be your wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?"