7. it's nice to have a friend

a few weeks had passed and me and sam were still hanging out loads. there had been a couple of times where he tried to ask me out again, but i always stopped it before he asked.

i just wasn't ready for something like that yet. even though, i had been living in stars hollow for a couple of months now, everything was still pretty new and a relationship was one thing i did not want to commit to.

i did agree on going to watch his training at lunch though, so i packed myself some sandwiches and walked to the stands to sit and watch.

i felt the cold breeze on my skin, as my cheeks became pink. i placed my sandwich down on the side and zipped up my jacket to try and stay warmer.

i watched sam run across the field, before he looked up at me and smiled with a wave. i smiled back at him, before he went to speak to his coach.

i looked over and saw jess sat on one of the benches with his book. what was he doing here? out of all places why was he sat there?

i shook my head and told myself that i had to go and speak to him. enough was enjoy, this whole thing had been going on for too long now and i wanted to talk to him. i needed to talk to him. seeing him around and not say anything was making me go crazy.

i picked up my bags and walked up the couple of steps and sat down next to him. he didn't look up from his book when i sat down, his eyes were glued onto the page of his book.

it was a very awkward couple of minutes. i was sat looking straight down at the field not really sure what they were doing, but was pretending i was interested and he was just sat reading.

i cleared my throat slightly, as i managed to pull some words together. "i didn't know you sat up here." i stated breaking the silence.

he kept his eyes on the page, but still answered. "well now you do." he bluntly replied in a harsh tone. jerk.

i pressed my lips together at his comment and moved my head back to the centre. he's still mad at me. great.

"anyways, aren't you supposed to be watching your boyfriend and not talking to me?" he retorted.

"he's not my boyfriend." i snapped rolling my eyes.

"oh really? well, what is he then?" he questioned closing his book and looking at me.

i hesitated trying to work out what sam was to me and also wondering what the hell i was doing sat here. i didn't enjoy stuff like this. why was i wasting my time? "he's just a friend." i replied bluntly with a slight shrug.

"do you even like football?" jess questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

"i don't know why you're asking me so many questions." i bitterly chuckled looking off to the side.

"exactly you don't." he said proudly knowing he was correct. "i think you just feel bad for him."

i sighed out of frustration, "you stopped speaking to me for over a month out of nowhere, you do not have the right to have an opinion." i snapped at him shifting a little away from him.

"alright, okay." he said with his hands up, as he went back to his book.

we both sat in silence for a few minutes, before jess looked back up and watched them play on the field. "i mean, look at this guy." he stated pointing at sam, who was doing a really strange warm up excercise. "what does he think he's doing for himself?" he criticised.

i looked over and furrowed my eyebrows, surely it couldn't be that bad what he was doing.

i tilted my head slightly and furrowed my brows and my lips parted. "i have no clue." i stated, as we both began laughing.