13. happiness is a butterfly

jess and i had been dating for a couple of months now and everything was great. we were happy, everyone was happy for us. there wasn't a problem.

my mom had accidentally mentioned to grandma that we were dating. she told me that she was delighted and insisted that he came over for dinner so she could meet him.

i tried to get us out of it, but it there was no way i could talk my way past emily gilmore.

"please, it's just one night." i begged jess.

"she won't like me, brie." he sighed with his hands on his head. he had recently started calling me brie for short.

"you don't know that till you go." i sighed as well. "it's just one night, a couple of hours there's no harm." i explained to him. "it'll be over before you know it."

"you really want me to go?" he questioned with raised eyebrows.

i nodded with hopeful eyes that he would agree to it. "fine." he smiled, causing me hug him instantly.

"thank you, thank you, thank you." i told him in between kisses.

"but, i'm not wearing a shirt." he stated pulling away quickly.

"you gotta wear a shirt." i replied slouching slightly.

he looked at me with a small smirk on his face, "we'll see." he said, before kissing me again.

-

i put on my little black dress and brushed my hair, before walking into the same room as my mom.

"you look nice." she smiled looking up from her magazine. she wasn't sure on how good of an idea this whole thing was. she did trust jess and she had grown to like him, she just wasn't sure how grandma would react.

"thanks." i smiled back at her walking to the mirror to put my earrings in.

"oh here honey." she smiled walking up to me zipping up the back of my dress.

"thanks." i repeated with a smile again.

she looked at me intensely, like she was trying to analyse me. it was like she was trying to read every little thing about me.

"mom?" i questioned with furrowed eyebrows slightly concerned.

she looked down and back up at me normally. "are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked me, as i nodded.

"why wouldn't it be?" i smiled, before putting my shoes on.

-

jess was supposed to pick me up an hour ago and still hadn't arrived. i was beginning to feel pretty stressed considering how punctual grandma was.

"he's here!" my mom yelled, as she sat looking out the window with her knitting.

"okay, love you!" i called out, before rushing out the door and into the car.

i opened the car door quickly and jumped in, before slamming it closed.

"where were you?" i asked with frustration.

"i couldn't find my shirt." he shrugged, as i rolled my eyes.

"just drive." i stated shaking my head.