24. hey there delilah

A YEAR IN THE LIFE

the sun was shining down on one of the most darkest day for some, especially emily gilmore. we were all stood dressed in black at my grandfather's funeral.

"i was supposed to go first." my grandma mumbled with eyes full of tears. my mom looked at my dad with eyes of sorrow, before he stepped forward and wrapped his arm around her and they went off walking.

this meant it was just mom, lorelai, rory and i stood by grandpa's grave. i let out a large sigh, as i recalled all the memories i had of him. sure, we weren't the closest, but i still loved him and for me, luckily all my memories were good.

"god, can you believe dad is actually gone?" my asked lorelai stated shaking her head.

"no." she bluntly responded staring in a trance.

"it's gonna be weird no longer seeing him sat at the head of the table with a newspaper in hand." my mom spoke with a small smile on her face as she reminisced.

"sure will." lorelai once again, bluntly responded. she was having a hard time with it all. she was hurting from grandpa's death, but in a different way. she was struggling, because she didn't experience that father-daughter relationship. she had no memories of him as such.

my mom was lucky. she had some from when she was very young, but not as much when she was a teenager. that's when he became rather absent because he started working a lot.

the whole day was full of sorrow and grief. we had multiple people constantly coming up to us, asking us about how we were holding up or whether they could do anything etc.

"your grandpa was a good man." my dad nodded, as he sipped his scotch he had in his hand.

"yeah, he was." i agreed with a small smile. he was a good man, he never did anything out of pure spite to anyone just to be malicious.

it was coming up to 11pm and i was still at my grandma's with everyone, but i had to get back to new york for tomorrow.

"grandma, i love you and if you need anything just call me, okay?" i smiled giving her a hug. this was the most fragile and sensitive i had ever seen her in my entire life. i knew she was really hurt. she loved my grandpa more than anything. he was her life.

i said goodbye to lorelai and rory and then my parents.

"drive safe." my dad told me, as he gave me a hug goodbye.

"call me tomorrow morning." my mom said, as i nodded.

i grabbed my coat off the maid and walked out to my car, before setting off onto the road.

-

the next day

i had woke up in my small studio apartment in the city, fairly early on that morning.

it was early march, so the sun was shining right through, however there were still some showers coming from the sky.

i made myself some breakfast and called my mom just like i promised to. "hey, how was everything after i left?" i questioned, as he picked up the phone.

"awful." she sighed. "grandma and lorelai got into this massive fight in front of everyone." she explained.

"god, no." i sighed shaking my head. "i'm really worried about grandma." i stated putting a slice of toast in my mouth.

"yeah." my mom agreed, before my dad walked in. "hey, honey." he called out.

"hey dad, what's up?"

"nothing much," he answered. "what about you? have you got a gig tonight?" he questioned.