8. show them you're all grown up

my mom and i walked into luke's to grab a coffee together before school. she was also going to meet kirk, since she was finally opening up her own boutique.

i was so happy that she was finally going to do this, i knew this had been her dream forever and it was finally happening for her and i couldn't be happier.

"hey, luke." my mom smiled, as she walked up to the counter.

"please tell me you aren't as bad as your sister with coffee." he said, with a hopeful face.

"who do you think got her into it in the first place?" she smiled, as he groaned.

"you're both bad influences on your daughters." luke complained shaking his head, as me and my mom both looked at each other and laughed.

we stood waiting for our coffee's jess walked down the stairs. he slowed down slightly with a small timid smile appearing on his face, when his eyes met mine.

"hi." jess nervously said, as he walked beside luke.

"hey." i replied with a smile in the a soft tone.

"hi," he said more deeply looking at my mom.

"hi," she nodded with a fake smile on her face.

"hi," jess then said to luke.

"hi." luke said looking at jess, before looking back at my mom with a confused look on his face.

"i have to get to school." i stated with a smile looking at jess.

"yeah, me too." jess replied nervously looking straight at me.

"bye," i smiled at him.

"bye," he replied staring at me again, before quickly looking at my mom. "bye," he said.

"bye?" she awkwardly replied.

"bye," i smiled at my mom.

"bye," she said dragging the word out slightly.

i looked up at luke, "bye," i waved at him, as i got ready to leave.

"bye." he said with furrowed eyebrows.

i turned around and quickly walked out of the diner. i realised i had completely forgot about my coffee, but it was tough luck now, i was already on my way to school.

i felt someone tap my shoulder, causing me to jump. "shit." i cursed, as i tried to calm myself down.

"it's just me." jess laughed softly, placing an arm around me, as he moved beside me.

"don't do that again." i warned him with a hint of laughter in my voice.

we crossed the road together and i mentioned about how awkward our encounter was with my mom and luke.

"i don't know how to act around your mom to make her like me." he complained.

"well, why do you even care about her liking you?" i asked him.

i noticed he tensed up slightly, after i said that. "i don't, it's just annoying, you know?" he answered clearing his throat, i nodded to what he said not really understanding his point, but i let him have the last word on it.

"i've gotta go to class, i'll see you later." i smiled, before walking away and heading to my geometry class.

he stood still, as he watched me walk off to class. "bye." he sighed, before getting startled by the bell helping him get back into reality.

-

it was the end of the school day and saw my mom talking to some guy. i crossed the road and walked over.