Chapter 26

"Do you know where you are going?" I say for the fifteenth time probably. I'm getting bored. JJ and Jacob bicker, which has been entertaining but has died down over the many many hours.

In between their arguments over insignificant matters, Jacob sings awfully to the radio music.

"For the last time, I know where I am going. You ask me one more time and so help me God, I'm going to throw you out of this damn van, injured or not." JJ snaps.

"How harsh." Jacob laughs.

"Oh shut up. You're more annoying than her." JJ glares at him.

"I'm offended. We've been through so much together and you think I'm annoying?" Jacob huffs.

JJ mutters something under his breath that I can't hear, but judging by his facial expressions, it is probably a death threat.

"So....how long?" Jacob asks carelessly after a couple minutes.

Without hesitation, JJ socks Jacob in his left cheek. It would have been more entertaining had Jacob not blocked it.

"Hey!" Jacob rubs his hand tenderly. "That hurt! You punched with all your strength."

"Yeah. I know." JJ glares at him.

"Whatever." Jacob replies without arguing back. JJ and I stare at him strangely as Jacob stares outside the window.

Then, there is an awkward silence for a while before the van stops.

"We are here." I think JJ adds in the word 'finally' quietly.

We pull up to the gate, which is noticeably protected with a couple armed men stationed outside.

"Who are you?" They aim their guns at JJ. "Step outside the vehicle with your hands above your head."

"Watch it." JJ looks irritated at the gun in front of his face. He doesn't seem fazed that at least a dozen men have their guns aimed directly at him. I say a dozen men because I know there will be hidden men in the trees and building nearby.

I barely recognize any of the faces. If there is a familiar face, then all I can do is show my face and say it is okay to go in.

"Chi cerca mal, mal trova." JJ sighs once more. He really looks like he wants to get out of here as soon as possible.

The gates open and we enter. He drives to the front of my house, which has a bunch of people outside. I see my father among them. A lot of the faces are familiar to me.

"Laters. Don't die." JJ waves to Jacob. "Nice meeting you." He nods in my direction. With those words, he literally pushes the two of us out of the car before he drives off in a rush.

"Is he always like that?" I glance at Jacob.

"YEP. He's always in some kind of rush."

"Will we ever see him again?"

"Most likely not." Jacob shakes his head. "He fulfilled his favor to me. Plus, he is somewhat of a ghost. He is incredibly skilled at not only hunting people but also at hiding too."

"Hmmm okay." I nod. I'm tempted to go to the vault and see if I can dig up some files on JJ. Judging by JJ's age, I don't know if the files are recent enough since I did steal the Key around four years ago.

We had a certain branch of people in the Ricca family who updated and protected the secrets. Without the Key, nobody could open it anyways.

"This is your place?" Jacob gives a long whistle of appreciation.