Chapter 2

"Miss Kerr!" Mr. Smeeks, my Economics teacher, raises his nasallyvoice to grab my attention.

"Yeah?" I say and roll my eyes. Then, I catch myself andpretend to caught off guard and embarrassed.

"Which market structures is there clear-cut mutual interdependence with respect to price-output policies?" He says impatiently.

"Oligopoly," I answer. Such an easy question, though this question should be asked after we learn the lesson. 

"That's correct," he huffs. I think the only reason he acts towards me this way is because he holds a grudge against me. Economics used to be my favorite subject. Now, there's too much politics in it and Mr. Smeeksteaches the dry topics.     After I pointed out some mistakes or made suggestions to his teaching, he has made it his goal in life to make me hate his class.

It's working.

He was getting on my nerves so I just had to point things out...Sometimes I tend to forget to think things through.

"What's he got against you?" Jacob pokes me with a pen. Yep, we have this class together too.Despite my attempts to reject and ignore him, he continuesto sit next to me every single time. In our third class together, I almostsnapped my pencil in half and stabbed him with it. Luckily, this is our last class of the day together. It's not like we will see each other in the dormitories. It's segregated by genders.

Oh my, what if I jinx myself?

"Don't you have someone else to annoy?" I snap without thinking again.

"Ouch," he rubs his heart. "Another insult already?"

"Dude, stop with the act." I roll my eyes. "I can see right through you." No guy is this happy and excited to sit next to the school nerd. I haven't missed the way he shines his fake grin at all the other students since his body language is off. There's something about him that does not seem right, but I haven't figured it out. He's not dumb, so he should know by now that if he wanted to he could most likely be on the top of the food chain. 

"What act?" He raises his eyebrows innocently.

I just shrug and gather my belongings. It's not really my business. I don't even know why I keep replying. Now I'm about to do what I have never done in the seventeen years of my life: ditch class. Though I have been sorely tempted to do so many times, the fear of my mother finding out and creating a clever punishment stops me.

"Where are you going?" Mr. Smeeks yells as I get up.

"Bathroom." I fidget. I would clench my fingers around my skirt except I burned the darn thing. I only have the uniform pants now. They are comfortable and great for activity.

"You can go after class," he points back to my seat. "Sit."

"I have womanly functions I need to attend to," I blush heavily. Everyone is staring and gossiping now. I hear awkward coughs.

"Sit."

I don't know just what is up with today! I blame Jacob for getting me all riled up and a annoyed. My temper is ignited and will blow everything up.

"I have the right to go to the bathroom." I grit under my breath. I merely shrug and walk out of the door, ignoring the students' slack-jawed faces and Mr. Smeeks's enraged profile.

I head back towards my dorm room. I really need a breather and get out of this outfit. I feel too confined.

"Shay!" I think I hear Jacob  running behind me. Oh no, I don't want to see him ever again.

I sprint off at full speed, taking a bunch of turns so I can lose him. The academy is a huge old mansion that someone once owned. Basically, imagine the school in X-Men but twice that. I'm positive I lost him.

I get to my room and unlock the door. As soon as I get in, I start unraveling my braids, letting my wavy brown hair cascade down to my lower back. I take off my glasses and put it in my pocket. I strip out of my clothes and into my faded denim jeans with my oversized Ramones graphic tee.

Ring! Ring!

"Hey mom," I greet her through my phone.

"Hi dear, now what did I say about answering the phone?" Her clear melodic voice reprimands me.

"I shouldn't assume the caller is always you." I repeat dully.

"Exactly." She nods. "I'm just being safe here for you."

"My phone is on a secured and private line. The phone number is unlisted. What more protection do I need?" I point out.

"Well, better safe than sorry." She says. "Now, how are you?"

"I'm fine as it can get here." I say bitterly. "When can I leave? It's great I get to experience school and live normally, but I'm sick of it there."

"Just a little bit longer." She sighs.

"You said that four years ago." I say flatly.

"I'm not sure if it's safe yet out here."

"What exactly is "here" and I doubt anyone is looking for us after four years!" I shout bitterly. "What exactly have you been doing and where are you?"

"I have been here and there." She murmurs evasively. "I can't tell you everything."

"You can't, or you won't?" I snap.

"Shay..." She trails off sadly. "I'm only protecting you."

"Yes, you've told me that many times now," I sigh tiredly.

There is a long pause. "You can leave when your semester ends."

"I can?" I beam excitedly. "THANK YOU!" That's in two weeks!

"You've been in that hellhole for a long time. I know how much you loathe school." She laughs weakly.

"You betcha. Are you doing alright?" I ask sincerely.

"Yeah, I'm managing." She sounds partly wistful, partly sad. I wish I could help her.

"Hows the nerd disguise?" She snorts unattractively. It was her idea for me to wear that in the first place.

"Teenagers are rather shallow judgmental creatures." I state.

"You're a teenager still. I was kidding about the disguise. I didn't actually think you would be wearing it for so long."

"Wait, really? You can't be serious," I'm a little mortified. I only wore it because she said it was necessary. "Also, I'm seventeen, almost eighteen in less than a year. I'm almost an adult. Plus, I think way more mature than most brats my age."

"Shay..." She warns.

"I'm kidding. They aren't that bad. Much." I joke, though there is honesty in it. "Can I leave at the end of this week if I finish all my tests and everything else?"

"No."

"Please? I can get everything done in two days." I plead.

"Why the urge?" She questions.

"Nothing." I try not to say it too quickly.

"Okay..." Her tone is suspicious.

"Well, I have homework. Stay safe and I love you." I say goodbye.

"I love you too sweetie, and you stay safe too. Don't let anyone discover your identity."

"Alright." I nod, though she can't see it.

"Bye!" I hang up.

Now, I count down the days until I leave. Ten more days!

~A/N orig. published 9/2014. Edited a bit on 9/10/2018~