Chapter 16

"University of Chicago." I stare at the campus. She did well. It takes me a few hours, but I eventually find the buildling I am looking for.

I spot a familiar wine-colored braid attached to a girl sitting in the corner with a book to her nose. Grabbing a random book on the shelf, I walk towards her and sit across from her.

"Howdy doo," I nod my worn black hat and lower my head more. The book offers great coverage from passerbys. I scan the security cameras around the library. I would assume that these dusty old books are more valuable than they appear. Otherwise, why else would they need cameras? 

"Hello?" Pearl stares at me suspiciously, trying to identify me. I stare at her briefly before replying. She's changed, but I still see my friend there. Her green eyes don't seem to sparkle as brightly as before, and she appears a lot more skinnier, but strong. 

"I come in peace," I grin and reveal my face momentarily as I lift my hat up a few inches. Then, I raise my finger to my lips to silence her.

"No..." Her eyes widen in surprise as she stares at me like a gaping fish. "W-what?" She stutters.

"Yes ma'am," I smile before surveying the scene. I finger salute her. We're in a library, her university's library to be exact. There's not many people here but that doesn't make me less alert.

"What are you doing here?" She hisses under her breath as she looks around to make sure nobody is around. 

"Reading books. Mine is pretty good so far," I comment. "I've decided I need to get back to reading. How I miss books." I say this with a straight face.

"You think The Daily Life in the Renaissance is good?" She raises her eyebrow at me. "I didn't even know you read!"

"Very funny." I reply sarcastically. "I rather think the Renaissance era is a splendid time that nobody  appreciates." 

"Bullshit." She shuts her laptop and takes the book away.

"Hey! I was reading that." I grab it back and prop it up.

"What are you doing here?" She whispers.

"Does Skyler still work at his grandmother's antique shop?"

"Hello Pearl. How are you? It's been years since I've last seen you. I'm back from the dead, and I just happen to lose contact and disappear completely in the years I've been missing. I forgot you existed, you my childhood best friend..." she replies bitterly.

"I'm sorry Pearl. I really am. I'll explain it to you when I can okay? I'm just busy right now." I plead. I try not to feel too guilty. Yet, her hurt expression chips away at my conscience.

"Too busy for your best friend again?" She laughs without humor. 

"Pearl, I promise-" 

"Save it. How'd you even know I was here? Actually, I don't care. Skyler's grandmother passed away two years ago. He owns the place now. He's a filthy rich motherf**ker because of her inheritance. Still, that hasn't changed him. No, he just wants his family back. All he has left is me. Me!" Pearl's voice raises in volume, alerting me. Her eyes tear up and pours all over her cheeks. She wipes away her tears furiously with her charcoal, knitted sweater. 

"I'm not finished!" She interrupts me as I open my mouth. "You know how it is. Skyler only had you and me. Then, you ditched us without any explanation. Do you know how much time he and I spent looking for you? No, you don't. And what I want to say won't even come out. I have so much to tell you, so much has happened. More bad than good. Why are you back? Why did you come back?" Her tears fall freely now as she sobs.