Chapter 30

The first few minutes are completely awkward. The six of us stand stiffly as everyone doesn't really know what to say.

When my own father looks uncomfortable, then shit is real.

Dante being Dante, he casually says, "How's everyone doing?"

Dante and I are sharing a seat on a bed. I am currently bandaging his shoulder. I stop as everyone, including me, stares at him.

"Figures," Tony coughs.

Still, Dante does break the tension a bit. My dad looks straight at me, "Can I have the Key?"

"Sure," I hand it to him. I kind of figured somebody would ask so I took it out as we entered the tent. Speaking of the tent, I feel like I'm in Harry Potter's tent where it's charmed to look bigger on the inside. When I entered before with Jacob, we were in a hurry so we paid more attention at his laptop than anything else. Now, I notice everything. It's a lot bigger than I expected. Plus, he has electricity somehow installed within the tent. There is no carpeting or anything super fancy, but the tent has a lot of furniture.

My dad glances at the Key for a minute before giving it to my mom. She loops it on a chain and wears it around her neck. She makes sure to tuck it underneath her clothes.

"What are you going to do with it?" Tony and I ask the same question.

"What we should have done from the beginning." My mom says vaguely.

"Like what? Destroy it?" I wonder. I've grown to ask many questions. I'm no longer the obedient, shy daughter. I have a mind of my own. I'm sure my parents and siblings see that too.

My parents exchange a quick look before my mom responds,"You must have wondered where this Key even came from and how it was made. Yes, someone from Gio's bloodline created the Key. Anyways, there hasn't been any ruckus over the Key until now. I'm sure you would like to know why."

We wait.

"The Skeleton Key has always been a closely guarded secret of the Ricca Family. That is, until Leonardo, your uncle, divulged the secrets to the Acerbi Family. The head of the Ricca Family holds the Key, and obviously, Leo was upset over the fact he was not made the Head..." she continues, but what she says I already knew. However, judging from my siblings' expressions, they did not know the whole story behind it. I cannot read my father's expression, but I assume he knows everything too.

"Anyways, we are going to throw the Key inside the vault. That has been the best decision we can think of." My father sighs. "We know what we are doing. Yes, there are information, secrets, and weapons that could be useful. Yet, those will also be dangerous and be our downfall. Plus, I know a person or two who has poured over almost all the information, so that knowledge is not lost." His eyes land on me when he says that.

Okay, I may or may not have lied about not reading everything inside the vault. Well, almost everything. I have a life, and reading dusty old books and files is not the greatest thing to do. I have learned some very interesting things though from my last session. Still, there is not a single file on the Acerbis, well nothing recent and of use. There are some good information, but I kind of already knew.