Chapter 11

I wake up in darkness.

Where am I? 

I roll off my bed and crouch to the bedside closest to the window. I pause to orientate my senses. There's something off. From what I can tell, I'm still in my motel room. Someting has changed. Something must have woke me up.

I wait quietly, my ears honing in to as many sounds as possible. 

Nothing, but I wait quietly. 

I heard a faint rattling coming from the door. Someone is picking the lock. With no hesitation, I instantly swing the window open and leap outside. There's a part of me wondering how they discovered me so quickly. I didn't really think they could find me even if I didn't wear a disguise. Anyways, I should be able to gain some time because they need to break down the door and charge through the cabinet blocking it. 

I grunt as I land on the ground from the second floor. The snow pads most of it, so does my roll to lessen the impact. I glance around: clear. 

How strange. They would never come after me without at least half a dozen members. I tread carefully and survey my surrounding. I can't think of anyone else who would come after me. It's not like anyone besides my family knows how I look like. Our enemies, I mean their enemies, haven't seen me in years. I doubt they will recognize me.

I head towards my bike, still hesistant about how easy my escape is. They should have expected me to jump out of the window. I hurry and start my bike. I'm going to take advantage of the time they give me. The moon shines in the sky, illuminating the dark stores and motels around me. The lights on the streets flicker and buzz. 

I rev the engine and increase my speed. I slowly gain speed. Then, the next thing I know, I am flying through the air. It seems to happen in slow motion, like I'm disconnected from my body. 

I watch as my bike falls and scrapes against the street. My baby...They wouldn't touch my baby. I watch as it crashes against a telephone pole. The paint on her body dents and scratches the street with a jarring crash. 

Then, everything speeds up and I lay on my side with a crack. Pain flares my entire side. i cringe as the ice freezes into my right cheek. If the snow wasn't here, I would have shattered something. I groan as I slowly move to my back. My eyes scan the damage to my body. I definitely discloated my shoulder, broke a couple ribs, fractured my wrist, and bruised everything else. I can't stop my whimper as I try to get up. 

They touched my baby. My eyes water as I stare at the damaged corpse of my beloved bike. I'm sure it's still functionable, but I doubt I can carry myself thirty feet to it. It's too far away. I

I get into a sitting position on the ground, wincing as needles seem to stab my body everywhere. It takes what seems like forever to move. I glance at my surroundings, spotting an alley between a gas station and a store. I slowly crawl over to the side of the gas station, trying to hide from cover. It breaks my heart, but I leave my bike stranded on the streets. That was an expensive bike too. 

I can hear footsteps approaching, so I start hurrying to the side. My fingernails crack and bleed as I rush to pull my body weight. By the time I get there, I cannot feel my fingers anymore.

"That was fucking sick!" Someone whispers excitedly. He sounds young, probably still a teenager. 

"That was fucking messed up you mean," another guy snaps, his voice gruff and older sounding. 

"Hey," the person sounds hurt. "I didn't know it would throw her that hard." 

"Yeah, you didn't fucking think." The older guy smacks the guy roughly on his back.

"Okay! I'm sorry!" The younger one says exaspperatingly. "You think she's dead?"

"If she isn't, she'd wish she was," someone else mutters. Just how many people are here? I didn't even see a single person around. 

"I know right," one more person agrees. Their footsteps get closer. 

"Wait, where did she go?" The youngest one asks, puzzled. "She shouldn't be able to move!"

"Observe, you dipshit." I hear a whack followed by a sudden exclaimation of pain.

"Dude, just because I'm the youngest, doesn't mean all of you have to bully me!" 

By now, they all sound the same. Heck, I could even be hallucinating all of the voices. I gulp and pause, my back resting on the wall. I try to calm my heart rate down, taking in slow breaths. It doesn't help that my clothes are now tattered, exposing me to the cold night air. I grimace as the pain all over my body continues to throb, though it's beginning to numb. I take the numbing as a bad sign; I could be developing hyporthermia. I shouldn't have moved. I glance at the white, soft snow. There's a vivid trail of blood leading directly to where I am. 

I sigh and look at the sky. There's no point in moving any farther. I didn't eeven know why I bothered crawling over here. It only made me hurt more.

I feel fatigued and sleepy. The snow looks inviting. A deep part of me shouts not to fall asleep in this weather, especially on the snow, but I'm just so tired. 

I'll just take a small nap. It's just a small nap...

"Ah, here she is!" Someone says triumphantly. "Wow! She was able to move pretty far." My eyelids struggle to stay open, but I slip slowly into slumber.

"C'mon we need to bring her back," a guy crouches down to lift me up.

My eyes open a crack as I see a fuzzy face of a young man lean towards me. I want to fight him off, tell him to fuck off. For once in my life, I'm defenseless, hopeless, and....