"I have to protect Boruto no matter what":

It was quite some time later after that havoc from the chunin exams, where Boruto had started to notice something weird about his chakra

It was quite some time later after that havoc from the chunin exams, where Boruto had started to notice something weird about his chakra. His first incident was when he was trying to protect this rich kid and had to fight this man eating guy. He couldn't use the little chakra he had left and almost got choked too death. He was rescued by Mitsuki and Sarada.

The second incident was during a mission while after using a bit of his chakra, he passed out.

In the end, lord 7th was noticefied on this and got Boruto checked over.

They found out that it was a thing called Karma and after an attack from a guy in a black cloak the weak after, they got the rest of the imformation.

After the fight with the Otsutsuki brothers, one of them gave Boruto the karma so then once it was at its full power, he could revive himself through Boruto.

His name was Momoshiki.

This caused worry but as long as Boruto was careful, he could live life as normal.

But that didn't last long as in one of the missions, Momoshiki took control over Boruto:

...

Sarada got knocked down by Boruto as Momoshiki: Having one different colour eye, one horn on the same side, and with the karma marked all over his face.

He looked down at Sarada who was now knocked out with a look of inferior.

Mitsuki stood by Konohamaru; who already looked exhausted. But despite that, he launched himself forward, but was only knocked down and ended up on conscious too.

Great. Only Mitsuki left.

He looked Boruto dead in the eye.

He had no other choice; and nobody would see him anyway.

He transformed into sage mode and launched himself at Boruto.

Momoshiki as Boruto narrowed his eyes. He didn't move a muscle. Would his teammate really hurt his own? Pathetic.

But instead of an attack, Mitsuki hugged Boruto and whispered at him: "I know you are still in there Boruto. So please don't do this and wake up."

The eye that was Boruto's normal colour widen, and then his whole body stiffened up.

Inside his head, Momoshiki was shocked and thought: "What on earth is this feeling inside this boy? So much...love?"

He couldn't keep controlling Boruto now as Boruto forced himself to wrap his arms around Mitsuki in a return hug.

Then everything went black.

...

Next minute Boruto knew it, he was lying on Mitsuki's lap; all weak and numb, with Mitsuki looking down at him.

Behind him and standing and starring over his shoulder down at him too was Konohamaru and Sarada. They both looked hurt.

Boruto blinked, before mumbling: "What...happened?"

Konoha shook his head and then said: "That doesn't matter now. You are safe."

"H...Huh?" Boruto didn't understand.

Then Mitsuki stroked his cheek with a thumb and Boruto looked up at him: "Mit...suki...?"

Then Boruto passed back out.

Mitsuki could only smile to himself at him.