The School for the Gifted (Book One)

The School for the

Gifted

Written By: Christina Robles

© All rights reserved

Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Giselle's entire life changed the day of her ninth birthday. She always felt a weird sensation when near fire or anything ignited. As if it called her or as if she had this undying flame burning in her chest when she was around a simple fire.

Her mother would scowl whenever she saw her daughter playing with a lighter, thinking it was a weird obsession for a child at the young age of eight years old. But what could a mother possibly do about this? Giselle's mother simply ignored her daughter's weird behavior but as Giselle grew older; her fascination with fire grew fonder. Little did Giselle know that the reason for her fascination was because she had a gift.

On the day of Giselle's nine year old birthday she woke up with an undying burning sensation in her fingers. It was minutes passed midnight, the day of her birthday. She screamed as the burning sensation continued and spread through her body, feeling like it was igniting her veins. She screamed louder as her body felt like it was on fire and then quickly the fire died and a short chill came across her body.

Instantly Giselle rose out of bed with tears welling out her eyes. Her mother was down the hall, probably fast asleep.

Then her life altered, before her eyes.

An adrenaline rush passed through her as she felt her fingers tingle. The burning sensation was back but her body welcomed the feeling as her hand lit on fire. Her eyes went wide as she stared at her palms not sure what was happening or why.

Surprisingly she laughed and forced the fire out of her. It felt as if it was coming from her chest. And with an undying passion the fire grew stronger and ignited the room around her.

Her eyes grew wide but she wouldn't stop she continued to light her room up in flames until she felt tired and sick. Giselle collapsed not sure what was happening to her and then the fire alarm went off.

She heard her mother screaming in the hallway, asking if Giselle was okay. Giselle didn't respond, she simply collapsed from exhaustion.

When she woke she was outside with her mother carrying her and three fire fighters asking a ton of questions. Her house was burnt to a crisp and faint scars of burns welled her mother's chest and arms but Giselle was unharmed to the fire men's surprise.

"What the fu-" Giselle said while waking up because of the alarm clock next to her. Instantly her blood thickened with annoyance. She threw the alarm clock across the room nearly hitting her room mate Jasmine.

But Jasmine was too quick and was on the other side of the room just before the alarm crashed against the wall with dying flames and leaving a burn stain on the floor where it landed.

Jasmine's expertise: Speed.

She sighed. "Thanks Giselle, We both know that's coming out of my trust fund."

Jasmines perfect heart shaped face turned into a scowl as she threw her petite body onto the sofa, her sapphire eyes burning a whole into Giselle's skin.

"Sorry." Giselle muttered as she forced herself out of bed.

"No point in apologizing." Jasmine said. "We both know you can't control your temper as much as you can't control your fire skills."

Giselle's face went quickly sour. "Isn't that why I'm here in the first place?" She spat out. "To be able to learn more about this crap I was born into."

Jasmine smiled easily amused. "No need to get all angry with me."

"Whatever."

Giselle pulled a towel out her dresser and headed for the bathroom. She needed a shower to calm the anger forming in her veins.

She closed her eyes and remembered the last day she saw her mother. The last day she saw the house she lived in, the last day she would ever see any of it again.

"It's time to go, Giselle." Professor Cornelius said. "We have already waited to long."

"Where are you taking me?" She said in a faint whisper.

"Home." He said.

She watched as she was pulled out her home. Her mother, with tears in her eyes waved goodbye mouthing it would be better this way.

"On the day of your fifteenth birthday, you must be taken to the place where your powers can be controlled, can be tamed." He said.

"Why?" Giselle said. "I'm not an alien, let me go." She said struggling to get free from his grip.

He stared down at her, anger in his eyes as he held her tightly. "Would you like to go to where you belong?" He whispered "Or, stay here where you are likely to kill your mother without knowing."

"Will I- I get to see her again." She asked him.

A small smile formed at the corner of his mouth. "Probably not."

Giselle felt the hot water against her skin as she continued to reminisce. She didn't understand most of it. It was only her second week here.

But to her surprise all the child hood stories she was told were simply no longer a myth when she arrived here. There were Kids her age and older being sent here because of their gifts, all of them different. Some with the ability to Turn things to ice, water, form trees, disappear, become invisible, be fast as a speeding bullet, while others controlled time, could hypnotize and more.

But what really surprised her was the building across from hers. On the other side of the campus were people entirely different. Warlocks and witches in training, Vegan vampires, werewolf's and other mythical teens she had never seen.

All of it such a blur to her, but more and more real then she could ever imagine.