Memories

ALEX
"What could Seth and Emelda be doing together? Hope they are not in any relationship? Oh! God, what's going on?" I kept panting and talking up and down my office.
My breathing was seizing and my head was aching me, the pain was indescribable.
I lost total count of my stability and I saw myself stumbling to the ground, what was wrong with me? I didn't know nor have I ever been like this.
As my last wait fell on the hard ground, that was when darkness came calling
STELLA
It was lunch hour and I'd been inside my office since morning but got no call from Mr Arthur.
He was supposed to call me and tell me about his appointment date with the community head
Well! It's my luck because I need all the rest I could get.
I thought as I made my way for the elevator
I was about to press the open button when my mind crossed that I should check on Mr Arthur.
I quickly left the door which I guess should be closing now after being opened by me as I started walking to his office.
Getting there I knocked about five times but got no response, I didn't even hear any movement as if someone was there
I was still knocking when another mind said I should probably knock, what if something had happened to him? I was here knocking when I should just barge in!
I couldn't wait any longer so I just opened his office door ajar, only to be met by a lifeless body on the ground. And that person was Mr Arthur, my boss!
I didn't wait any longer I just took my phone and made a call to his doctor
In less than an hour, he was already here.
"What happened to him?" Mr Felix asked the moment he entered.
Mr Felix was his personal and family doctor, as I was told!
"I met him on the floor when I was going for lunch, I came here to check on him when I met him on the ground," I said to the doctor.
"Well! Thank the good lords that you called on time, he was just stressed and he needs a lot of rest. And thanks for calling because you hadn't called his case would have been critical" he said, his voice relieved of stress and anxiety
"Well! He should be awake any."
"Ahhh! What happened?" Mr Arthur said cutting doc Felix from finishing his statement.
'Oh! Boss, you're awake?" I asked relieved and happy.
"How do you feel?" Doc Felix asked worriedly and nervous.
"Just a little headache," he said calmly.
"Okay! I'd prescribe the drugs you're to take and please make sure you take them because your health would have been critical if not forms Stella here" doc Felix said using his hand to point to me who was situated happily that Mr Arthur was perfectly OK.
"So! I'll take my leave now, ms Stella! In case of anything please so make sure to call me" he said as he took his briefcase and started walking towards me. He handed me the prescription note and walked out leaving only me and Alex to ourselves.
I bowed my head to Mr Arthur a d was going outside when he spoke.
".T.thank .you!" He said stammering.
"No problem sir," I said as I walked out and locked his door.
I walked to my office took the company card for buying any needed thing. I walked straight to the elevator and pressed the open button.
Not like before I entered inside and in few minutes I was outside the lobby going to the nearest pharmacist. Which was only a four to three minutes walk to the next junction.
But what is happening to Mr Arthur, he has been off lately. He smiles at his employees and joke with them.
He smiles at their naughtiness.
He answers to greetings.
Hope he his not dying soon?
I presumed, but it made no sense so I just strung it aside.
But! Whatever it is I hope he gets out of it okay.
EMELDA
Why on earth would life be this unpredictable?
Why are my parents not my parents?
Why am I an orphan?
Or should I say, bastard? because my parents were never together and my father never wanted me?
Tears welled up my eyes but I couldn't even cry.
I wanted to cry a river, but everything was out of words or tears.
Even my own heart was against me.
My heart was burning but I couldn't even quench it down all because the fire was not even a fire distinguisher fight.
A tear slipped out of my eyes and then another and another and another until my whole eyes could not see a thing.
Alex was sleeping soundly, but I was not even able to close my eyes not to talk of lying down.
"Dad? Why ain't you my real dad?
Mum? Why ain't you my mum?" I asked as I made my way to the fringe which contain lots of beverages.
I wanted to drink myself to stupor but then I thought about Alex, my son! My whole! The bone of my bone and the flesh of my flesh.
The child I gave birth to.
"No! Never!!" I said as I closed the already opened fringe and walked back to the sitting room.
I quickly brought out my phone and went to my contact list. There is name was written in a big and small letter. Alex!!.
I took a deep breath and dialled the number. I looked at my sleeping son's picture and smiled tearily.
"Jnr am doing all this for you, because I wouldn't want you to be like me, whose father abandoned," I thought as the phone started to ring.
At the second ring the phone was picked, and I heard his sweet voice which was a little weak and sour.
"Hello?" He asked calmly.
"H.h..h." I was lost for words, but I knew he heard my voice, if he could no it was me then I would no he still remembers me.
"Mel?" He called my name, same way he always does.
I smiled happily as tears starts pouring.
"Mel! Why didn't you tell me about our baby? Why didn't you tell me you were having my child?" His word was like a piercing pain in my heart, at once I was flooded with regrets and wishes.
"Am sorry" I found myself saying.
"Hey! Babe, have you been crying?" He asked worriedly.
"No!" I muttered lying.
"That's a lie Mel, I know when you lie and you have to know that I can never abandon you, Mel, I can't," he said truth written all over his voice.
"Am so sorry! Alex" I blunted. "I just wasn't thinking," I said sniffing.
"Am not angry Mel! But I want to see you and my baby, you and my son Mel, I want to see you both" he said, happiness and joy wrote all over his voice.
"We would be coming over," I said happy and assured that he was never gonna reject the baby, even though he doesn't want me
"Tomorrow?" He asked waiting for my reply.
"No! Not tomorrow because I'd love to take an off from my boss and still tell my pa..pare...no my uncle and aunt that I would be coming over" I said as I remembered everything my parents just said.
"Mel? What's going on, why is your voice troubled and teary?" He asked worriedly.
"Am fine?" I said smiling.
"Do you by any chance remember when we first met at the public aeroplane??" he asked, sarcasm written all over his voice.
"Yeah!" I said remembering everything like it was still yesterday.
"Alex! Those memories are unforgettable" I said as a tear slipped from my cheek to my hand which was directed to my ear in supporting my phone from falling.
"I love you! Mel" he said making me smile like a quell little puppy.
"..I love you too! Alex, I've always waited for a day like this, and thank God it came to pass" I said as I couldn't control the tears of joy anymore.
"Don't cry me, tomorrow I would be sending in some guards to come to pick you and you ain't going to reject them?" he said stating the final.
"Okay! But from Detroit, not Oklahoma" I said thinking he won't hear me.
"No! buts ms Emelda Wilson," he said making me wonder about my real surname.
"I'll call you back babe, I've got something to check about my real parents," I said without even thinking.
"Real parent?" He asked surprise written in his voice.
"Hmmm," I hummed.
"Okay! If you need my help, please do not fail to call" he said as we said our byes and ended the call.
I didn't wait anymore before going into Alex's room and carrying him up as I head to the sitting room and collected my phone and purse where I had money and walked out.
After getting outside I locked my door before heading to the road and boarding a taxi.
In a few seconds, the taxi was on the highway going to my parent's house.
I just hope what am about to ask is known and not unknown.
I thought as a tear slipped out of my eyes to my cheek before falling on my neck.
Oh! Lord help me.
ALEX
Am happy and sad.
I just hope Mel sees her real father and mother or whatever.
I hope she comes to Detroit tomorrow.
"Yes! My Mel/woman is back.
No brother or brother can take her away from me.
I love you, Mel.
I was still smiling and thinking when the door opened and Stella walked in holding a white bag containing what I assume is a drug.
If only she knew she would throw them away