CANDID

╔═══════════════╗
CHAPTER 10
╚═══════════════╝

»»————-  ————-««

As I exit the coffee shop with a muffin and a hot tea in hand heading toward the park. I briefly pretend I'm a normal girl walking the street of Brooklyn. Probably broke as fuck but definitely has a classy Aesthetic with a bunch of weird trendy pics.

"When are we heading back?" Alec snaps me out of my day dream. I look over at him. "When I feel like I've have disassociated enough"

Alec rolls his eyes in annoyance. "Angels. What's even interesting about this. Look at them running around like ants" he scoffs.

I shrug. "It's nice to observe the simplicity that is mundane life"

He clocks an eyebrow in my direction. "Simplicity? Mundanes are frankly stupid running around when it's pointless."

I look at Alec observing the people we pass by. I see the park is across the street. I press the button to cross.

"You know, when I was young I enjoyed literature" I bring up. Alec hums in acknowledgment.

"It's was the perfect escape from uh.." I begin to stutter a bit. "From my life?"

Alec looks over at me now analyzing my face. I continue, "I remember wanting to become an English major so badly. I idolized this life in Brooklyn you know?"

"I would pretend to have a bookstore but like a coffee place—Classy. Maybe, I'd have a cat" I say while smiling. "It was nice to dream about I guess"

"I'm guessing you weren't allowed to?" Alec asks sympathizing with me.

"I wasn't exactly given a choice. We don't exactly get one. It's always been you'll grow up and kill demon. Less, what makes you happy" I say sourly. We both cross the street.

"Would you leave what we do for that?" Alec inquires while looking toward my direction.

I frown contemplating. "Probably not, I know act like I don't give a fuck about my families opinion on me, but i want to make someone proud."

Alec hums in acknowledgment. "I wouldn't leave either."

I glance at him encouraging him to continue. "I like doing what I do. It fulfills me"

"Good for you, man. At least one of us likes it. No, but on real shit—have you considered leaving this?" I ask curiously.

He shakes his head in denial. "I'm probably going to do what I do now 20 years from now."

"It won't be the same" I pressure while taking a sip of coffee. Alec glances at me ready to argue.

"Yeah it will." Alec argues. I shake my head immediately.

"A lot can change in 20 years. You'll probably have a wife, and Alec jr. running around. If that isn't enough to change your mind, have you changed a diaper? I haven't and I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet." I say while looking at him. Alec laughs at my joke at the end.

"Fat chance, I'll probably never marry." he claims. I pout taunting him. "Aw is Alec lonely?"

Alec blushes and looks over at me. "Just so you know I'm too busy to be lonely."

"Oh don't fucking go there!" I exclaim annoyed. "Have you looked in the mirror. You can have anyone, just fucking pick"

"It's not that easy" Alec says defensively. "Im not exactly gifted in the romance department"

"See that's the first red flag. Romance department? Really?" I ask while taking a huge chunk of my muffin.

"You haven't seen it up close" Alec says while shaking his head. "It's bad"

"Listen, you're an attractive man. A little smile could melt anyone." I say to Alec. He turns a hue of red and doesn't meet my gaze.

"I don't think that's how that works." He claims shyly.

"If I can pull a couple guys. You can pull a girl." I say amused. I find a bench that's not occupied and sit with Alec following.

"A couple?" He asks shocked. I look over at him and smirk.

"Only a few" I say nonchalantly. He shoots me a confused glare. "That's still more than a couple"

"You know what? Sue me. Dudes back in idris would literally look at me for my last name" I say rolling my eyes.

"You know Damien Blackwood?" I ask. Alec thinks for a moment before answering. "Wasn't he the one that is getting married off to Lovelace?"

I nod with a big grin. "I dated him for like 3 weeks and broke it off. A couple days after the breakup, his Mother showed up at the manor and asked for me to take him back."

"Did you?" Alec asks curiously. I laugh at the thought. "Why do you think he's tying the knot with Lovelace?"

Alec face turns into one of shock. "That bad?"

"That's what I said!" I exclaim. "We literally went for coffee like three time and he was mentioning baby names."

"Diamonds come first, babies can wait." I say scoffing playfully. "What about your ex?"

Alec shakes his head and I scoff. "Oh come on she can't be that bad" I say.

"She's not" Alec defends. I smirk "you're still hung up on her then?"

"No—she doesn't exist" he confesses wittingly.

"Really?" I ask in shock again. "Dude, in the most truthful shit ever. I would've cuffed you up ages ago"

"I really don't have the time" he claims. I reposition myself for my whole body is facing him.

"You have the time right now" I say referring to what we're doing.

"That's different" he claims. "You're...okay to be around"

"See it's the hesitation that tells me otherwise." I say sarcastically. "Just so you know" I give him a little look. "I would totally be willing to be..."

His phone suddenly goes off and as if jace had some kind of bug on us. He claims he needs us back at the institute.

»»————-  ————-««