MHM

╔═══════════════╗
CHAPTER 19
╚═══════════════╝

»»————-  ————-««

I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself as I stared at Alec with narrowed eyes. The anger within me threatened to spill over, but I knew deep down that I needed to hear him out. The party atmosphere had faded away, replaced by a tense silence between us.

Two weeks had passed since that night at the party. I had immersed myself in my Shadowhunter duties, burying my emotions deep beneath the surface. But no matter how hard I tried to ignore it, the ache in my heart lingered.

I was at the Herondale Manor, my family's grand mansion in Idris, when a knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. I opened it to find Alec standing there, his expression a mix of determination and apprehension.

"Alec." I said, my tone laced with sarcasm. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your presence in Idris? Couldn't resist the urge to come all this way just to talk to me?"

Alec winced at my biting remark but quickly composed himself. "Actually, yes. I came here to talk to you, Alice. It's important."

I crossed my arms, raising an eyebrow. "Important enough for you to show up at my doorstep? You must be desperate."

Alec's eyes softened, and he took a step closer. "I am desperate, Alice. I've tried reaching out to you, but you've ignored me for the past two weeks. I couldn't just let things go unsaid."

I tilted my head, my curiosity piqued. "And what exactly do you need to say? I'll let you in because I need to know what made you haul ass. "

Alec sighed, his gaze steady. " I need to tell you how I feel. About everything that happened, about you."

I felt a flutter in my chest, a mix of anticipation and uncertainty. Despite my anger, a part of me had missed him, had longed to hear his voice and see his eyes filled with the same vulnerability he had shown me before.

But before I could respond, a voice echoed from behind me. "Oh, Alexander, you've finally made it. I was starting to think you'd gotten lost."

I turned around to see my grandmother, the formidable Inquisitor, standing there with a stern expression. Despite her seriousness, she had a knack for injecting humor into the most unexpected moments.

Alec's eyes widened in surprise, recognizing my grandmother. "Inquisitor, I... uh... didn't expect to see you here."

My grandmother arched an eyebrow, her lips curving into a sly smile. "Well, I am technically everyone's boss. And I do have a tendency to keep an eye on my family members, even when they're being difficult."

I couldn't help but chuckle at the awkwardness of the situation. Leave it to my grandma to add a touch of chaos to any encounter.

Alec cleared his throat, shifting his attention back to me. "Alice, can we talk? Alone?"

I glanced at my grandmother, who raised an eyebrow in approval. "Go on, Alice. Don't keep the poor boy waiting. Just remember, I'm watching."

I rolled my eyes, a smile tugging at my lips. "Thanks, Grandma. Your surveillance is duly noted."

As we walked away from the prying eyes of my grandmother, we found a quiet corner of the mansion to have our conversation. The opulence of the surroundings contrasted with the weight of our emotions, but it was a fitting backdrop for the battle of hearts unfolding between us.

"So, Alexander," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this conversation? Another apology, perhaps?"

Alec winced at my biting tone, his eyes flickering with a mix of guilt and determination. "Yes, Alice. Another apology. I was a fool to leave you alone at the ball, and I can't blame you for being upset with me. You had every right."