A WILL

"Grandma, it isn't that serious," I say into the phone, my gaze fixed on Alec as he reaches for the TV remote. He gives me a small smile, and I try to focus on the conversation while his presence distracts me.

"Okay, fine, I'll look into the matter," I assure my grandmother. She has always been overprotective, especially after my parents' fate. Being a Herondale comes with its own set of expectations and worries, and Grandma carries them all like a heavy burden.

As I hang up, Alec raises an eyebrow, clearly catching the undertones of the conversation. "Family matters?" he asks, handing me the remote.

I nod, sighing. "Yeah, my grandmother is convinced there's some impending catastrophe, as usual."

He chuckles. "Shadowhunter instincts, I suppose. Always expecting the worst."

"True," I reply, leaning back on the couch. "But sometimes I wish she'd let go a bit. Not every situation requires a full-blown investigation."

Alec glances at me, his hazel eyes filled with understanding. "I get that. Sometimes, it's exhausting to carry the weight of expectations and responsibilities."

"Are you going to investigate it?" Alec asks curiously as we continue our stroll through the institute.

"I will, for the sake of my Grandma. She thinks I'm the best forensic person there is," I say, amused. "I don't think she understands I'm more of the engineering type."

He shakes his head and kisses the crown of my head. "I forget you're smart."

"Aw, you're the best boyfriend ever," I say sarcastically.

"This is the first time you've called me your boyfriend," he teases and attempts to tickle me. However, my training kicks in, and I swiftly grab his hand before it reaches my waist.

"You may be fast," he points out, "but I'm faster."

He, unfortunately, uses his other hand to tickle my side. Without thinking, I quickly get up and slam into him like a WWE fighter.

"I'm avenging my reputation," I declare. He grabs my waist and turns me around so that I'm on top of him.

"Your hair is growing," he points out.

"I need to chop it again. I'm feeling the French bob, on another note," I say, getting off of him, our playful banter filling the air. The ease with which Alec and I can switch from serious conversations to lighthearted teasing is one of the things I cherish about our relationship.

Alec knew my boundaries and when I didn't need him there, he allowed for space. It's crazy to think one little meeting could change so much.

Deciding to shift my focus back to the impending investigation, I make my way to the institute's lab. The hum of machines and the sterile scent of chemicals greet me as I enter. My expertise in engineering may not make me a forensic genius, but I know my way around analyzing demonic energy.

In the lab, I carefully examine the samples, noting the subtle nuances in the demonic energy signatures. It doesn't take long before I discover a pattern, a unique resonance that connects the incidents my grandmother is worried about. The implications are unsettling, and I realize the urgency of informing the Clave.

Leaving the lab, I find Alec waiting for me, concern etched on his face. "Everything okay?" he asks, sensing the gravity of the situation.

"I've identified the type of demonic energy we're dealing with," I explain, my voice steady. "It's more intricate than I initially thought."

Alec's gaze intensifies. "What is it? Is it a threat to the Shadowhunter world?"

"It's a threat, Alec. I'm sure they'll put more investigation to it." I reply, my mind racing with the implications of my findings. "I'll still need to inform the Clave immediately."

He nods in understanding. "I'll go with you."

"I appreciate that, but this is my responsibility," I say, placing a reassuring hand on his arm. "I'll head to Idris to present my findings. It's the best way to ensure a swift response from the Clave."

Alec's expression tightens, torn between wanting to protect me and recognizing the gravity of the situation. "Be careful, Alice. And keep me updated."

"I will," I promise, giving him a brief but earnest kiss. With determination, I make my way to the portal room, ready to face the challenges that await me in Idris.

"Uh, we have a tiny problem in the front" we both hear a voice say from the doorway. I see a familiar carrot top looking at both of us awkwardly.

"What is it clary?" Alec asks with a hit of frustration.

"Well, you see. Isabelle hasn't been home in a full day and I'm starting to grow worried" she announces.

"Right, she's a grown woman" Alec begins his lecture before I stop him.

"Clary is there a reason you're bringing this up?" I ask pressing for more details.

"When we went to the Iron Sisters we went into this water" she starts off her story. Alec looks a bit ticked off.

"Yes, it's a purity pool of sorts, Lake Lynn is one. Makes sure you haven't been corrupted by demonic presences" I tell her.

"She started to drown in it and I just, I don't know want to make sure she's okay" she says worried.

"I'll speak with Izzy once she's back" Alec says calming clary down a bit.

"Right. Jace and I are looking for her now" she says. Of course the other boy had to be involved.

"You should join" I suggest to alec. His about to protest.

I stop him. "If she's endanger you'll regret not taking the lead on this."

He thinks about it and sighs. "I'll be there shortly"

I give him a sad smile and kiss his cheek. "I'll call you as soon as I can okay?"

"That better be before or after you have delivered the news." He puffs out.

"Clingy is my middle name" I say proudly. "Next to trouble"

"That was, lame" he says in a neutral manner.

"What? Couldn't use something other than 'lame'. I hat are we in middle school?" I tease. "I prefer abysmal or morbid"

"Fine. You're sense of humor is morbid" he rephrased.

"You baldheaded motherfucker" I curse out actually offended. "I hope you wake up to a soggy noddle and then wet your sock."

"Don't kill me" he says with his hands up.