SHOOT

»»————-  ————-««

"Wow, that's amazing!" I exclaimed, marveling at Alec's remarkable aim as he effortlessly shot his twentieth consecutive shot.

"You can choose any of the large animals," the booth attendant informed us, pointing to a selection. Alec returned the bow to the next person in line and joined me.

Placing his arm on my shoulder, Alec leaned in and said, "Your pick."

"But you won," I countered playfully.

"For you," he replied, adopting a cheesy tone. I couldn't help but smile, shaking my head in amusement.

"Fine, I'll take the purple unicorn," I told the attendant, who nodded and began climbing the ladder to retrieve it.

Turning back to face Alec, I couldn't resist teasing him, saying, "You know, you're acting pretty 'mundie' right now."

"Oh yeah? Well, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have won this lovely prize," he paused, grabbing the stuffed animal from the attendant, "if I hadn't trained."

Chuckling, I admitted, "I guess you're right. Why don't we go on the Ferris wheel now? I think I've finally recovered from that funnel cake."

"Lead the way," Alec said cheerfully. As we made our way toward the line, his hand gently rested on my back, creating a comforting and affectionate connection between us.

We stood together in the line, eagerly waiting for our turn to board the basket. I squeezed myself against Alec's side, seeking comfort and closeness. Finally, the ride commenced, slowly ascending into the sky.

As we rose higher, I realized I hadn't checked my phone in quite some time. However, before I could retrieve it, Alec's sudden movement caused the basket to shake, and I instinctively gripped the railings tightly, my heart racing for a moment.

"Not to be that bitch, but I'm pretty sure this ride is over 20. It's got a couple of loose screws," I announced with a touch of comedic relief, trying to lighten the mood.

Ignoring my comment, Alec spoke up, "I got you a gift." His words piqued my curiosity, and I looked at him with wide, playful eyes.

"Ah, you finally upgrading our engagement ring?" I joked, teasingly nudging his side.

A grin spread across Alec's face as he handed me a small box. I eagerly opened it, finding a delicate bracelet with a charming purple unicorn charm hanging from it.

"Are you a wizard?" I asked, eyeing the gem with amusement.

"Not a wizard, you're just predictable," he replied, smirking.

I chuckled, appreciating his playful banter. "That's concerning, but I'll let it slide. This is beautiful," I said, my smile growing. "Thank you so much."

Alec smiled, his gaze shifting slightly downward. "I didn't think you'd be a flower kind of girl."

"I like succulents," I replied, my voice filled with affection. "Less work, more sustainable."

"Noted," he said with a nod, his eyes meeting mine. "I had a really good time tonight, Alice. I want you to know that if you ever have doubts, I really do like you."

His honesty touched my heart, and I met his gaze with unwavering sincerity. "I don't want my past to ruin this," he said, gesturing between us.

"It won't if we don't let it," I assured him, reaching out to take his hand in mine. "I know who you are, Alec. I'm not leaving that." A surge of warmth and affection enveloped us, creating an unbreakable bond between our souls.

"Ever," I added softly, emphasizing my unwavering commitment to our journey together.

»»————-  ————-««

As we arrived back at the institute, the dim lights greeted us, casting an air of mystery and intrigue.

"Merida isn't for the faint of heart, then?" Alec remarked, his voice tinged with curiosity.

"It's definitely something," I replied, my eyes widening as I recalled the trials and errors we had faced. Alec and I had been engaged in conversation in the training room for quite some time, and now, at 3 a.m., we decided to engage in a friendly spar.

"So, what did you specialize in after a year?" Alec questioned, swiftly striking at me with his staff. I blocked his advance, swiftly twisting the staff to free myself.

"Yeah, we do an evaluation," I replied, attempting to sweep him off his feet with a quick maneuver. However, Alec adeptly blocked my move, demonstrating his skill and agility.

"What did you get?" he asked, finally managing to knock me down onto the mat. I quickly scrambled up, executing a backflip to regain my footing.

"We have options," I replied, slightly out of breath, pointing towards Alec. "That was good, too good."

"I get that often," he smirked, heading to grab his water bottle.

"As for my education, I have a Bachelor's in Tactical Combat and Shadowhunter Warfare, and a Master's in Intercultural Diplomacy and Nephilim Relations," I informed him, noting the impressed look on Alec's face.

"I'm also currently working on my Ph.D. in Artefact Mysticism and Dark Relics," I finished with a sense of pride.

"Wow, that's actually very impressive," Alec replied, genuine admiration in his voice. "And what about Will?"

"He pursued the same Ph.D., but he also studied Wardstone Engineering and double majored in Demonology and Crime Scene Analysis," I replied, highlighting Will's impressive educational background.

Before Alec could respond, our conversation was interrupted by the sound of the institute's elevator dinging, and a group of noticeably intoxicated individuals stumbled past us.

"Alec's girlfriend!" Isabelle exclaimed, her voice carrying a mixture of amusement and mischief.

"Isabelle" I say awkwardly.

"Heard you and Will have been...communicating?" I say unsure.

"No we're not." She blurts out. She straightened her composure. "He hasn't replied to me in days"

"He's been busy with the clave" I reply to her trying to make her feel better.

"Isabelle go get water and to your room" Alec demands behind me.

"Why?" She whines.

"Because someone had one to many shots, hi Alice" jace announces while greeting me.

"Hi blondie" I reply with a smile.

"I did not, but I'll be in the kitchen if you need me" Isabelle says while stumbling toward the hall.

"Alice, so I heard you and Will are taking over as head? How does that work?" Jace questions while crossing his arms. "Didn't think we had a anarchy"

"My grandma had quite the influence. She made sure we were trained in all fields and there's isn't many shadowhunters that can say they have PhD's and go to Merida" I reply to his answer.

"The logical answer is one of us will take her position" I finish.

"That I get. How are you his runner up?" He questions. Alec buts in "she's done the work jace"

"Well if it was up to me, I wouldn't choose to be head. I'm not much of a leader" I say firmly. "And as immature as it sounds, I want to live my life before worry about the world going to shit"

»»————-  ————-««