EURO

Alec walked into the somber room where the funeral service was being held, his presence bringing a small glimmer of comfort amidst the sea of grief. His eyes met mine, and he made his way towards me, his expression filled with concern. I felt a lump forming in my throat as tears threatened to spill over.

He enveloped me in a gentle embrace, his strong arms offering solace in the midst of my anguish. I clung to him, burying my face in his shoulder as the weight of everything that had transpired weighed heavily on my heart. Through sobs and sniffles, I began to recount the events that had unfolded, the pain of losing my grandmother and the guilt that consumed me.

"It's my fault, Alec," I managed to choke out between sobs. "If only I had been more like Will, stronger, maybe I could have protected her. Maybe I could have prevented this."

Alec's grip on me tightened as he pulled away slightly, his gaze searching mine. His voice was filled with tenderness and reassurance as he spoke. "Alice, no. Don't you dare blame yourself for any of this. Your strength, your accomplishments—they are your own. You've achieved so much, including being accepted into Merida. That's no small feat, and your grandmother knew it. She believed in you, just like I do."

His words washed over me like a balm, offering a glimmer of hope in the midst of my despair. I looked into his eyes, feeling a mix of gratitude and longing. Alec was slowly becoming my rock, my pillar of support, and in that moment, I realized just how much I needed him.

"And you know what else?" Alec continued, his voice unwavering. "Your grandmother wanted you to give the speech at her funeral. She put you down on her will for a reason. She saw something in you, Alice, something special. You have her strength, her courage, and her love. It's time you embrace it and honor her memory."

A surge of emotion overwhelmed me as Alec's words sank in. My grandmother had believed in me, even when I doubted myself. She had seen something within me that I had yet to fully grasp. I knew then that I needed to honor her legacy, to find the strength to move forward and live a life that would make her proud.

Tears streamed down my face as I nodded, finding solace in Alec's unwavering support. Together, we would face the pain and uncertainty, drawing strength from each other and from the love we shared. In that moment, as we stood amidst the sorrow, I knew that I was not alone. And with Alec by my side, I felt a glimmer of hope ignite within me, a flicker of light amidst the darkness.

The room was filled with mournful silence as I stood before the gathering of people, their eyes fixed upon me. The weight of grief hung heavy in the air, but amidst the somber atmosphere, I could feel the warmth of their presence, their love and support. Alec stood by my side, a steady anchor amidst the storm of emotions, and Will, his encouraging smile offering a glimmer of strength.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my trembling voice as I began my speech. Memories of my grandmother flooded my mind, and I couldn't help but feel a bittersweet ache in my heart. I knew that today was a day to honor her, to celebrate her life, and yet the pain of losing her was still so raw.

"My grandmother was a force to be reckoned with," I began, my voice tinged with both sadness and admiration. "For the longest time, I thought she was disappointed in me. No matter how hard I tried, it seemed that whatever I did wasn't good enough. I felt like the black sheep, the one who always fell short of her expectations."

A collective murmur of empathy echoed through the room, as if others had experienced similar feelings of inadequacy. I continued, my voice gaining strength.

"But on her deathbed, she said something that shattered my perception. She said she was proud of me." My voice wavered with emotion, tears glistening in my eyes. "It was a revelation that washed away years of doubt and self-deprecation. It made me realize that my grandmother had always seen the potential in people, even when they couldn't see it in themselves."