viii. dig deeper

(   VIII

( VIII. DIG DEEPER )

     AMELIE NIGHTLY WAS ALWAYS FAMILIAR WITH ANXIETY, but nothing compared to the sinking feeling in her chest as she and Stiles climbed up the stairs of his humble abode, where she was about to reveal everything. A part of her was scared— scared of his reaction, scared he might hate her, scared he might not believe her in the first place.

     But, she had proven herself loyal to the group. She had cleared the air whether or not she was involved in all the threats haunting Beacon Hills, and it was clear she wouldn't harm them. She stopped in the front of his room, her eyes already on the figure in the corner.

     Claudia held out a smile for her, which Amelie returned and dropped. She turned to the boy next to her, who looked at her with furrowed brows and a pout on his face. Slowly, she grabbed his hands and guided him inside the room.

     "Remember on the bus, when I told you my family has had access to the dead for years?" She started, their hands still intertwined and she ignored the swelling in her chest. He nodded slowly.

     "Well," She sighed, "The day I discovered that wasn't just a myth told by my father was the day I slept over here."

     "What— You saw someone?" Stiles whispered.

     "Yes, and the reason I didn't tell you was because I was so afraid of this. Afraid of how things would move on after I tell you this, and the last thing I want to do is upset you," She rambled, making the crease between his brows deepen. "Why would it upset me, Amelie?"

     "Because," She took in a deep breath. "Stiles, I can see your mom."

     Immediately, her eyes searched his face, searching for any clue of what he could be feeling. Was it hatred, resentment? His eyes darted to the floor before he cleared his throat.

     "Can.. Can you see her now?" He asked, looking up at her again. His eyes had turned glassy and she resisted the urge to sob right then and there. Her eyes shifted to the woman in the corner who had her eyes wide in shock.

     "What are you doing?" Claudia muttered. Amelie's eyes went back to the boy in front her and nodded slowly. She could see his breath escaping him. Gently, she took his hand again and guided him in front of his mother. He wouldn't be seeing anything, but Amelie could see the look on his mother's face, as her eyes softly grazed his face, and her head reached out to him only to pass through his body.

     "You've grown so much," The ghost whispered.

     "You've grown so much," Amelie repeated for him and he turned his head harshly to the girl, whose eyes remained on his mother.