xii. the nemeton

(   XII

(   XII. THE NEMETON   )

     AMELIE'S LILAC EYES OPENED WITH A SCREAM ERUPTING FOR HER MOUTH, a scream that seemed to wake Allison, Scott and Stiles from their sleep in the ice water. The three gasped for breath as they stepped out of the chilling water, their clothes stuck to their bodies as they looked around them. They were in a large white room, their tubs centered in the middle of it. The lights above them flickered vigorously.

     "Guys," Amelie gasped, pointing to the large stump standing away from them. The four teenagers walked to the stump, looking at it with intrigue. How could this stump be the answer to all their problems? Scott lifted his sleeve, revealing his tattoo and looked at it, almost with remembrance as he glanced back to the stump.

     "I'll wait for you guys here," Amelie instructed them and they nodded. "Be careful," She sighed, her eyes mainly on Stiles. Reluctantly, Scott grazed the wooden stump and gasped, drawing them all in with him.

     First, they were in the woods.

     Amelie gasped, looking around her to find Scott looking at her confused. "What are you doing here? I thought you said you'll wait for us," He panted. "I guess I'll wait with you, then," She sighed, looking around her.

     "God," they heard a voice ahead of them. A boy, clad in a red zip up, held out his phone looking for something. Amelie watched with wonder as she watched a much younger Scott McCall lean over, panting until he reached a retched body, torn in half. He screamed loudly, stumbling back across a hill.

     Hurriedly, the boy got up, looking around him, only for him to hear a growl from behind — it was the night Scott got bitten, Amelie realized. The wolf charged at Scott, biting him on the side of his abdomen, giving him what seemed the greatest gift of all.

     The older Scott watched with wonder, holding onto Amelie's arm subconsciously, and they tumbled back, stopping when they hit something. Turning around, they found none other than the stump— the Nemeton, standing in all its glory.

     Gasping, the setting changed.

     She was still in the woods. Only this time, Stiles stood next to her. Turning around, the boy sighed with relief as he saw her. She nodded towards where the sound came from— two boys talking to each other hurriedly.

     "We're seriously doing this?" The human Scott McCall groaned at his best friend Stiles, who was dragging him through the trees. It was funny how much they had changed— in looks and personality.

     "You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town," Stiles retorted.

     "I was trying to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow," Scott clarified to his best friend, who seemed to run away at the sound of branches snapping around them.