xlii. wishful thinking

(   XLII

( XLII. WISHFUL THINKING )

"CHIMERAS."

Amelie, along with Stiles, stood in the sheriff's office, staring at an empty notice board. They were beginning to connect the dots, bit by bit, and just last night, Parrish found ten burial holes in the middle of the Lacrosse field. The Chimeras were made.

"Two dead Chimeras—" Stiles began.

"—And eight new ones—" Amelie added.

"So, that's ten in all."

Sighing, Stilinski put a picture of Donavan Donati on the notice board. "I'm thinking maybe eleven..." Beside her, Stiles stiffened. He grew a bit anxious at the mention of Donavan and Amelie knew deep down there was something he wasn't telling. Why? She didn't know that either.

"Our station tech guys confirmed something for me..." Stilinski turned around to face the teenagers. "They said both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys—"

"—Dread Doctors—" nodded Amelie.

"Are we really calling them that?" Stilinski furrowed his brows exasperatedly.

"Malia thinks so," Amelie shrugged, "So, they broke Donovan out?"

"It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?" Stilinski asked making Amelie think for a moment. She wasn't with them when they visited Doctor Valack, so she wasn't really sure. But, it made sense.

"Donovan's a Chimera," She said.

"Yeah, but... Is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?"

"I don't know," Amelie raised her brows, staring at nothing in particular. "If he is, he's probably dead."

Humming, Stilinski turned around to face his son, Amelie following, only to find him giving them his back. "You're uncharacteristically quiet..." Stilinski said.

Almost surprised, Stiles turned around, fidgeting, "Yeah... Sorry, I'm, uh... I'm just trying to think about it. Uh... These are all teenagers, right? So, now shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers? If the Dread Doctors, if they went through all that— burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail..."

"They couldn't have been chosen at random," Amelie nodded, "They had to have something in common."

"Something that made them right for this experiment."

🥰

That night, Amelie really didn't want to go to Scott's house. She had hoped that she and Stiles could spend the night together since her sister was sleeping at her friend's house and her mom was out of town for the weekend, so they had the whole house to themselves. But that was some wishful thinking.