lviii. gold in your blood

(   LVIII

( LVIII. GOLD IN YOUR BLOOD )

"STILE: An arrangement of steps that allows people but not animals, to climb over a fence," Scott read the definition of the laptop screen in front of him, Amelie and Lydia, who were seated in the library. It was the first night Amelie had gotten any kind of sleep, and maybe it was because of the hope she'd gotten that there was someone missing in her life.

"Yeah, somehow I don't think this is the "Stiles" we're looking for," Amelie sighed as she leaned back into her chair.

"Maybe Malia has found something," Scott suggested, but Lydia was quick to shake her head, "No. She's taking a makeup a test today."

Just then, a familiar howl echoed through the school, making the trio glance at each other worriedly before standing up and rushing off to find their were-coyote friend.

"I guess the test isn't going well."

When they got to the basement, they found Malia in coyote form and not human form, growling back at them. Slowly, Scott walked towards her, trying to calm her down.

"Malia, it's okay. You're safe," He put his hand out as Lydia's mom and Sheriff Stilinski walked in hurriedly. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

"Maybe you should growl back?" Stilinski suggested, but Malia growled one more time before trying to calm down. "Scott, you're the Alpha. Can you just make a little more docile?"

"She's not the problem. We are," Amelie realized, "This is her territory. We need to get out of here."

At that, Malia barked so they all started to back away. "Malia came here to get to the full moons. Then we got to the lake house," Lydia explained.

"I thought you said a wild animal got in the lake house," Natalie said confused.

"Just be happy for the things I don't tell you," Lydia retorted quietly. Amelie glanced back at Malia, who had now shifted back to human.

"It's alright. I'm okay," Malia tried to say.

Smiling softly, Amelie watched as Natalie handed her back her clothes. "Any idea what made her shift?" Stilinski asked them.

"She's under a lot of pressure," Scott replied, "School, her life after graduation."

"Her mom trying to kill her," Lydia mentioned.

"That shouldn't make her shift," argued Amelie, glancing at Scott and Lydia before asking hopefully, "Could it be connected to Stiles?"

"Hard to tell since we don't know what a "Stiles" is."

"It's a "he"," Stilinski replied.

"Who?"

"Stiles. It's a family nickname," Stilinski explained, and Amelie had never been more relieved, "I never used it, but... my father did."