xvi. hammering hearts

(   XVI

(   XVI. HAMMERING HEARTS   )

     "SO, WHEN DID YOU GET THERE?" Rafael McCall interrogated the five teenagers that sat in front of him. They had pulled into the sheriff's office after what happened at the substation, resulting in all the power in Beacon Hills being cut off— thanks to Kira, who literally absorbed it all. Amelie was confused, to say the least.

     "At the same time," Stiles shrugged.

     "At the same time as who?"

     "At the same time as me," Scott and Amelie said together, making them narrow their eyes at each other.

     "By coincidence?"

     "What do you mean, "by coincidence?" Stiles asked. "That's what I'm asking you. The three of you arrived at the same time— was that a coincidence?" Agent McCall repeated the question.

     "Are you asking me?" Scott pointed to himself in confusion.

     "I think he's asking me."

     "I think he's asking the both of you," Lydia interjected.

     "Okay, let me answer the questions," Rafael said frustratedly before realizing his mistake, making them all chuckle. "Let me ask the questions."

     "Just so I have this absolutely clear..." He started. "Barrow was hiding in the chemistry closet at the school. Someone left him a coded message on the blackboard telling him to kill Kira. Then, Barrow took Kira to a power substation and tied her up with the intent of electrocuting her, which blacked out the whole town."

     "Sounds about right..." Amelie nodded, fiddling with her fingers.

     "How did you know he'd take her to a power station?"

     "Well, 'cause he was an electrical engineer. So, where else would he take her?" Stiles said like it was the most obvious assumption in the world.

     "That's one hell of a deduction there, Stiles," Rafael retorted, eyes narrowed at the Sheriff's son.

     "Yeah, what can I say?" Stiles shrugged. "I take after my pops—he's in law enforcement." He winked at his father, who snorted in amusement. Agent McCall looked back at the sheriff with a raised brow making the smile fall off his face. "Stiles, just, uh... just answer the man."

     "We made a good guess."

     "What were the two of you doing?" McCall turned his attention to Scott and Kira.

     "Eating pizza."

     "Eating sushi."

     With wide eyes, the two turned to each other in panic.