xxxix. potential girlfriend

(   XXXIX

( XXXIX. POTENTIAL GIRLFRIEND )

AMELIE'S PHONE RANG FOR THE SEVENTH TIME THAT NIGHT. It was driving her insane. First, it was her mom calling her three times just to make sure she was safe and asking her when she would be home. Then, it was Karly, asking her if she could buy her a burger on her way home— Amelie immediately denied the request. Next was Liam, who was asking for reassurance after Mason had officially discovered the truth about the supernatural. After that was Stiles, who was just asking for an update on where she was and if they were still on for tonight.

So, when her phone rang for the seventh time, she was about to blow up.

"What?" Amelie groaned through the phone, totally forgetting to check the caller ID.

"Is that how you greet your long-distance best friend?" The familiar voice of Isaac Lahey came through the phone, making a smile appear on her face. "One that you haven't seen in five months, may I add?"

"Well, Lahey, I would've greeted you better if you called more," Amelie retorted, "To be honest, I was expecting it to be Liam."

"Who's Liam?" Isaac asked, confusion lacing his tone.

"Wow, you're so late to the party, aren't you?" She chuckled, "Liam is Scott's Beta, remember?"

"No, I don't remember, actually," He scoffed, "You're the one who insisted on 'no supernatural talk' when you and Stiles visited."

"Well, you can't blame me, can you?" Amelie sighed, "I was being hunted by a Deadpool and had just killed Matthew."

"Good times."

"Anyway, how's Paris?" Amelie changed the subject as she fiddled with her chipped nail polish. Lydia had insisted that the nude color suited her well.

"It's great, same old Paris," Isaac sighed but Amelie knew there was something more.

"And...?"

"And what?"

"You want to say something. I'm not dumb," Amelie deadpanned. "Did something happen?"

"No, no, it's just uh... I kinda... met someone?"

"Someone as in... potential girlfriend?" Amelie couldn't keep the smile off her face at Isaac's nervous mumbling. "Or boyfriend?"

"Girlfriend. Maybe? Probably? I don't fucking know," He groaned frustratedly. "She's amazing, you know? She knows about everything. The supernatural— she's actually a witch— and Allison and why I even moved here! But, sometimes I feel like she's hiding something."

"What could she possibly be hiding?" Amelie suggested, "Maybe she doesn't want to necessarily hide something... maybe just omit the truth? That doesn't count, right? What's her name anyway?"