xiii. phantom wound

(   XIII

(   XIII. PHANTOM WOUND   )

     THEY SAY HEALING TAKES TIME, but how long does it take to heal a wound that never existed in the first place? A phantom wound, placed directly through her heart. It had been exactly thirty nine hours since Amelie left her bed last, the weekend had come to an end but Amelie's war was only just beginning. The brunette knew the first step to heal was to get out of her bed, to step back out in the real world. Because face it, Amelie— she told herself— If it's not now, then when?

     The bright rays of the sun woke her up on that Monday morning, making her groan in tiredness. The first thing she did was pick up her phone— only to see the numerous texts and missed calls she'd avoided. About five texts from Isaac ( cause he wanted to talk to her, apparently ), and a few from Lydia and Allison as well. What shocked her, was the fifty nine texts and thirty seven missed calls from Stiles— asking where she was and if she was okay.

     Sighing heavily, she decided she would address these all at school today. And so, she got out of her bed and went downstairs to make some breakfast. Surprisingly, Sydney Nightly stood at the stove, flipping pancakes— which smelled heavenly, by the way.

     "Good morning?" Amelie said, but it came off as a question.

     "Hey, Ams!" Her mother replied cheerily, making her daughter furrow her brows. "I'm making pancakes, want some?"

     "Uh— sure," She replied hesitantly, looking to the stairs where she heard Karly step. Karly held the same surprised expression on her face— Who was this and what had they done with their mother?

     "Karly, honey," Sydney called. "I made you some lunch for school. Amelie, do you want some too?" She gestured to the lunchbox on the counter.

     "No, thanks," Amelie muttered as she grabbed the plate full of pancakes from her mom. Immediately, she dived in, moaning loudly at the divine taste of her mom's traditional pancakes. It's been so long since she made these.

     "Mom, are you okay?" Karly said abruptly.

     "Yeah, why?"

     "It's just I haven't seen you cook breakfast in like, three years."

     "Well, I guess I just missed you girls."

     Karly and Amelie shared a knowing look— sure. Amelie knew something was up for sure. Turning her attention to her mom, who was texting someone on her phone, she said, "Mom, do you have a boyfriend?"

     "What?"

     "Do you have a boyfriend?" The brunette repeated. Sydney's face flushed a deep beetroot red. Bingo.