xlviii. collateral damage

(   XLVIII

( XLVIII. COLLATERAL DAMAGE )

DESPITE EVERY CELL IN HER BODY BEGGING FOR SLEEP, Amelie couldn't shut her eyes for a second. Beside her, Stiles leaned his head on her shoulder, his eyes tightly shut as he slept, waiting for his father's surgery to finish. Amelie wanted to sleep, too, but she just couldn't bring herself to, like something very bad would happen if she did. She decided to go with that.

After what felt like hours, Melissa finally approached them, her expression grim. It made Amelie's nerves tense, bundled up with thorns. The brunette gave her a questioning look, but the nurse did not respond. Instead, she kneeled in front of the sleeping boy and patted his shoulder to wake him up.

Stiles woke up with a jolt. His eyes were wide awake, like he hadn't slept a second. He turned to Melissa expectantly.

"He's okay." Melissa nodded. Amelie felt a sigh escape her. "Dr. Geyer is stitching him up right now."

"Okay," Stiles said breathily. "I wanna see him."

Melissa nodded, "Okay, okay... The anesthesia needs to wear off. It's gonna be at least two hours."

Stiles turned to Amelie, who gave him a reassuring, teary smile, as she patted his shoulder before turning back to Scott's mom. "Okay, yeah, but everything's gonna be okay, though? I mean, he's okay?"

"Mmhmm. He's gonna be just fine."

"Oh, thank God."

But, that relief wouldn't last long. Amelie needed to learn that this was their luck with most things right now.

"What do you mean, "You don't know?" She asked angrily, arms crossed across her chest as she and Stiles faced Dr Geyer, who met them with disappointing news.

"Two hours ago, he was fine!" Stiles yelled, "Now it looks like somebody took a baseball bat to his neck."

"There could've been some minor internal—" Dr Geyer tried to say.

"I don't think those two words should be in the same sentence," Amelie muttered.

Amelie could feel Stiles shaking. "I need to know what's going on with him, okay? Dr. Geyer, somebody needs to tell me what's happening. Somebody needs to tell me what's happening to him!"

"We don't know..."

Just as Stiles was about to get into another argument, a figure walking up to them caught Amelie's eye. She stiffened at the sight of the last person they wanted to see right now. She patted Stiles shoulder and whispered, "Stiles..."

The boy looked at her for a second before turning to where she was looking, and it was like he forgot all about the argument. Instead, he ran up to Scott and slammed him into the wall.