xxxiv. the puzzle pieces

(   XXXIV

( XXXIV. THE PUZZLE PIECES )

AMELIE SIGHED AS SHE SAT IN ONE OF THE CHAIRS AT THE SHERIFF'S STATION. It started to feel like a tradition to always be there, with Lydia too. The Banshee had been locked under heavy weight for this Deadpool, feeling an unnecessary amount of guilt for not figuring this out sooner. Amelie tried to comfort her, to tell her that none of this was her fault, but you can't convince someone of something when their mind is set on something else entirely.

"What did she say?" Lydia asked as soon as Sheriff Stilinski was out of his office.

The man sighed, "Hard to tell. There were words— I'm not sure there were actual sentences."

Lydia and Amelie shared a disappointed look before muttering, "Nothing."

"I think we need a psychologist," Noah shook his head as he grabbed the phone. "Or a medium."

"Is she even competent enough to be charged with something?" Amelie asked. "If Meredith is the Benefactor, then that means she was competent enough to trick Kate into opening the Hale vault; competent enough to blackmail Brunski into helping her; and competent enough to create a hit-list and pay out money for its completion. This girl's practically a criminal mastermind," Stilinski retorted.

"There's gotta be a reason why she would do this."

"I'm only interested in the "why" if it tells me the "how."

"You mean how to stop it," Amelie tilted her head and he nodded, "After what happened to Scott tonight, this thing's still going. The payments could be automatic. And, as long as the killers are getting paid—and paid very well— that list is gonna keep getting smaller."

"We don't just need to stop the Deadpool—"

     "—We need to stop the money."

🥰

     The door to the Sheriff's office closed with a slam which woke the two girls up with a flinch. Amelie hated when people woke her up, so with waking up to the slamming of doors— she was pissed. The two girls were huddled up together on the chairs, trying to get some sleep before another day came and new surprises awaited them.

     "I thought I told you girls to go home," Noah sighed with a knowing look. "I thought we told you we weren't going anywhere," Lydia yawned. "Did they get anything out of her?"

     "Should have gone with the medium."

     Parrish walked into the room with a pile of papers in his head and a defeated look. "We went through everything in Brunski's office, and so far, everything amounts to pretty much nothing," The deputy told Stilinski before looking at the girls confused. "Did you not go home yet?"