xlvi. weight of the world

(   XLVI

(   XLVI. WEIGHT OF THE WORLD   )

     NOW, Amelie wanted to listen to Isaac.

     She really did, she knew the drugs were harmful and that she was following her father's condemned footsteps, but the withdrawal was harder than anything she's went through. So, after a few hours, when the voices crept into her head again, she took a pill. And then another and another and another.

     It had been five days since Karly died. Amelie was surprised that everyone was moving on with their lives so normally. She hadn't heard anything from Scott, and this time she had checked her messages to make sure. No calls, no texts.

     The sun was setting when she received a text from Stiles telling her to meet him at the animal clinic. He said it was important. She hadn't left her house yet, but maybe Isaac was right, she had to get out of this funk.

     With a heavy heart, she started to get dressed into a pair of jeans with a hoodie and vest on top. It was supposed to rain tonight too and she didn't want to take any chances of catching a cold, despite her feeling hot most of the time.

     By the time she got into her car and started driving, the raining had already begun, she could barely see through the storm but the roads were thankfully empty. When she arrived at the animal clinic, she spotted Scott's motorcycle, and Scott was standing there, watching her.

      She didn't want to talk to him. She knew deep down Scott wasn't at fault, but it was easier to blame someone for everything.

     "Scott," She acknowledged him when she got out of the car, placing her hoodie over her head, "Where's Stiles?"

     Before he could respond, Stiles' jeep approached them. Slamming the door, he yelled out, "Hey, sorry... I had trouble starting the Jeep again—that thing's barely hanging on. Ams, hey, sorry I'm late."

     She smiled at him softly and walked up to him to grab his hand, but his eyes remained on Scott. "Scott? Where did you get that?"

     Turning around, she found Scott holding a large metal wrench. She recognized it from Stiles' box, but the blood on it made her stomach churn.

     "This is yours?" Scott asked in disbelief. "Why didn't you tell me?"

     "I was going to..."

     "Tell him what?" Amelie furrowed her brows.

     "No, but why didn't you tell me when it happened?" Scott asked nodding to Amelie, "Why didn't you tell her?"

     "I couldn't," Stiles shook his head, turning to Amelie pleadingly. She was more confused than ever.

     "You killed him? You killed Donovan?"