xvii. silverfinger

(   XVII

( XVII. SILVERFINGER )

AMELIE, SCOTT AND ISAAC SAT AROUND ARGENT, as Allison cleaned the wounds on his head. He was telling the teenagers about the time he encountered these dark figures before. "There was something almost ritualistic about it— like it was looking right into his soul."

"That's the same thing it did to me," Isaac murmured.

"That's what they did to everyone," Amelie corrected, recalling the traumatizing event.

"Not everyone," Scott interfered. "They only came after the Werewolves."

     "Do I look like a werewolf to you?" Amelie retorted. "Do I howl at the moon? Awooooo."

     Scott rolled his eyes annoyedly. "And Lydia, too. She isn't a werewolf," Allison nodded.

     "Anyone with a connection to the supernatural."

     "Then who was the guy they went after in Japan?" Isaac asked Allison's father.

     "A Kumicho," Argent explained, receiving confused looks from everyone. "A Yakuza boss." Isaac and Amelie glanced at each other— even more confused.

     "It was my first gun deal. I was only eighteen, and it was supposed to be a simple exchange," Argent sighed, remembering the experience. "Except Gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being Yakuza. He wanted to see if I could adapt in the moment. Testing my ability to, uh—improvise."

     "Or, your ability to survive."

     "The moment the sun came down, it was like they just materialized out of the shadows," Argent flinched as Allison dabbed further on to the scab on his forehead. "They had swords—not curved like katanas, but straight, black steel, like ninjatos."

     "What did they want?"

     "To get to the Kumicho," Argent glanced to Isaac. "They cut down every living thing in their way."

     "Did they mark him like they did us?"

     "Not exactly..."

     "What was he?" Amelie asked, furrowing her brows, pulling her oversized denim jacket around her.

     "I don't know," Argent shrugged. "But, there might be someone who does. There were a few others who survived that night. One of them was a man named Katashi."

     "They called him "Silverfinger" because of an unusual prosthetic," He closed his eyes. "And it looked like he was getting ready to take them all on himself."

     "I've known for a while Katashi was in the country. I spent yesterday tracking him down."

     "Didn't look like he wanted to be found," Amelie glanced between Isaac and Argent, both nodded in agreement.