Chapter Twenty-One

Shawn's POV

"Has anyone see Max?" I asked.

"I was hoping that you had," Abby frowned.

"I guess I have to do it myself," we heard a cold voice hiss. We turned and saw Max with his gun pointed threateningly at me.

"Put the gun down," I frowned.

"I don't think I will," Max said. "You see, I got the upper hand with it and I can finally rid the world of all of you."

"Max, you don't want to do this," I said carefully. The others were silent.

"You're wrong. I very much do. It'll be so much easier to live with myself once I do," he said. His hands were shaking. Fear rose in me once I realized just how psychotic he was.

"Max, this isn't the answer. Put thegun down and walk away," I urged.

"Or what, Shawny boy? You going to lecture me to death? Put me in detention?" he sneered. "You have no power here."

I quickly pulled the gun up and pulled the trigger. All I got was an obnoxious clicking. He smirked.

"What did I tell you? No power," he laughed. "So, who should I kill first?" he pointed the gun at Emily. "Your girlfriend?" he moved to Zayn. "The big mouth?" he pointed it at Niall. "The Irishman?" his eyes flashed to Louis. "Ah. Tommo. Let's start with you."

Several things happened at once. Max pulled the trigger. Abby jumped in front of Louis. Emily screamed. Zayn pulled her out of the way. Niall fell next to Abby. Louis moved back to Liam. Liam turned to shield Harry. I tackled Max.

I wrestled the gun out of his grip and pointed it at him, keeping him on the floor.

"Abby!" Emily shouted. She crawled over and sobbed. I looked down at Max, who was smirking. I didn't hesitate before pulling the trigger. I walked over and pulled Emily into my arms.

I looked up and saw Zayn on the phone. Louis was crying next to Abby. Harry was still unconscious and Liam was still holding him. Niall was staring at Abby's lifeless body and I could vaguely hear the sirens.

Abby's POV

"...barely missed her heart," I heard someone say.

"So she'll be okay?" That was Emily's voice.

"Yes. If they had gotten there any later, she would have been a goner."

I blinked and looked around. I definitely heard beeping and I was breathing. I reached up and encountered an oxygen mask. I turned my head slightly and saw Emily talking to a doctor.

"She's awake," The doctor smiled.

"Abby," Emily grinned, running over. I reached up and pulled the mask off.

"What happened?" I groaned.

"You got shot," She answered.

"Brilliant," I sighed. "Can check that off the bucket list."

She rolled her eyes.

"How's everyone else?" I asked.

"Zayn's arm is all patched up. Niall will br able to walk again. Nothing permanent happened to Louis except for PTSD. Harry finally woke," she said.

"What about Shawn?" I asked.

"They fired him," she shrugged. "But he still has his teaching job."

"And Max?"

"He's dead," she grinned. "And the rest of the have been locked up."

I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Thank God," I mumbled.

"Oh, and I..." she began. I opened my eyes. "I lost the baby."

"I'm sorry," I said.

"You're the one that got shot," she laughed.

"Speaking of which, when can I get out of here? I hate being in hospitals," I muttered. "Actually, how long have I been here?"

"Three days," she answered.

"Three days?" I shouted. She nodded.

"Harry himself only woke up yesterday," she stated. "They let him out but he only had a mild concussion."

"I just hope I get out of here soon," I sighed.

"Hopefully," she aggreed.

"The airport's too crowded," I frowned.

We were waiting for the boys' flight to be called. I had my arm in a sling, Niall was on crutches, Zayn had his arm bandaged and also in a sling, and Harry had pills for his concussion. Louis was near to tears as he said goodbye.

"Thank you," he muttered, hugged me carefully. "You save my life."

"I'm going to miss you, Lou," I whispered. He nodded and pulled away. Harry walked over to me.

"Make sure you take care of thst loser, okay?" I smiled. He nodded and took a deep breathe.

"Well, this is goodbye," He said sadly.

"You better plan on coming to visit, Styles,' I threatened.

"I will," he grinned. He gave me a side hug and walked over to say goodbye to Emily.

"I can't help but feel like this is all our fault," Liam said from behind me. I turned and smiled at him, hugging him.

"Don't be ridiculous," I muttered. "We were the ones who signed up for it."

"Yeah," he sighed. He pressed a kiss to my forehead. "I'm gonna miss yours and Louis's fights."

"I'm not," I laughed. He rolled his eyes and I looked over at Zayn.

"Goodbye, tough guy," I smiled, holding out my hand. We shook hands and he smiled at me.

"I hope to see you again soon," he said.

"Me too," I agreed. He nodded and walked off. Then Niall limped up.

"I'm going to miss you," he said.

"I'm going to miss you, too," I nodded. He tilted my chin up and pressed his lips to mine. I wrapped my good arm around his neck and I heard one of his crutches fall but he didn't seem to care.

"We're in the middle of the goddanmed airport!" Emily shouted. I heard someone wolf whistle and Louis laughed.

We pulled apart and rested our foreheads together.

"I love you," He whispered.

"I love you, too," I said just as quietly. He smiled and someone said something over the loudspeaker.

"That's us, Niall," Liam called. "Grab your crutch and let's go."

I laughed and bent down to pick it up for him. I handed it to him and he kissed my forehead before leaving.

"Come on. You two need to get back to school," Shawn said, wrapping an arm around Emily. I watched the plane fly away before following them out.

"Don't worry, Abbs. We'll see them again," Emily smiled.