1

Taehyung's POV:

"What should I make?”

Walking through the shopping district on my way home from school, I could hear a light melody playing from the speakers and smell the freshly baked croquettes from the butcher’s and the fragrance of bran from the pickling shop.

The fresh smells were an indication that I had arrived in the shopping district. I stopped by some of the various stalls before remembering my original purpose and continuing on, all while pink petals floated in from between them.

It was spring.

It is said that spring was the season of meetings and farewells, but to me, spring was the season for asparagus, turnips, bamboo shoots, shirasu fish, and cabbage.

It really was a good season. I loved spring.

So I, Kim Taehyung, associated spring more with food than meetings or partings.  Furthermore, I am a first year high school student.

As I stood in front of the greengrocer considering what fresh vegetables to buy for the sake of making delicious food, an older man came out from the back with a warm smile and a basket and calculator in one hand.

“Good evening, sir.”

“Welcome, Taehyung. Today the fresh turnips are on sale!”

I’ve been coming to this shop with my mom since I was small. I knew the owner of this greengrocer since I came here so often. And his daughter was only three years younger than me so I played with her often.

“Then I’ll take some turnips and…” I looked towards the other vegetables when, “That’s right!” Suddenly he looked like he remembered something as he brought his hands together.

“I heard that you enrolled at Daeil! That’s amazing!”

“Hehe, thank you very much! It’s because I finally finished the exams!”

“Daeil” was short for Daeil Foreign Language High School. It was the high school I entered this spring.

It’s a famous school with a newly renovated campus (including a library that can compare to the national one) that encourages a free school spirit. It had many facilities other than just the usual school ones. There’s an astronomy observation room, a large theater room, and even an indoor athletics stadium.

But I wasn’t interested in any of that.

My parents and teacher recommended that I take the Daeil exam. Anywhere was fine to me as long as I could make delicious food. I didn’t have any particular school-of-choice. I would have liked to attend a high school with a culinary program, but the only ones would have been hours away from home… In other words, they were in different prefectures.

I just wanted to make and eat delicious food, so I didn’t need to become a cook. So, I took the Daeil exam like my homeroom teacher recommended. I really just went with the flow.

But, from the bottom of my heart, I was really glad to be accepted at this school. Because that meant the exams were over. I would have been fine with anywhere, but I was glad I got accepted. Because the exam period was very difficult for me.