11

Taehyung's POV:

I walked through the shopping district filled with closed stores, the evening sun behind me.

It was a week after I helped Jungkook with his job... a week after my heart was about to stop. Jungkook was busy with work since this morning, so I went out shopping. But I was met with closed doors and banners put up. The shopping district had a bit of a lonely atmosphere.

I saw Jungkook's name as I looked at my screen. After briefly wondering why he was calling, I clicked the answer button. His voice was lower than usual.

"Taehyung?"

"Y-yeah. That's me."

"Hahaha, good. I was walking home from work when I thought I wanted to hear your voice."

Please don't say something like that. My heart squeezed. Maybe it was something he learned in showbiz. It was bad for my heart...

"O-okay?"

"Hehe. Hey, Taehyung. Could you look behind you for a second?"

"Behind me?"

"Yep. Huuuurry up."

I quickly turned around to see Jungkook standing a distance away, holding his phone to his ear like I was. He was smiling without a disguise. What was he doing here?

"I found you."

Jungkook slowly walked forward until he was right in front of me. He pocketed his phone before grabbing my bags.

"You're going home, right? I'll carry your bags. It looks heavy."

Jungkook started walking without waiting for my response. I chased after him with no idea what was going on.

***

"S-sit here, I'll pour tea right away," I said to Jungkook in my living room before running to the kitchen.

He never let go of the bags on the way here, saying, "I want to thank you for everything you do, so let me do this at least."

And since he ended up carrying them all the way to my house, I invited him inside for some tea.

While I was pouring tea, I asked him the question that had been bothering me.

"Hey, Jungkook. Why were you in the shopping district?"

"My photoshoot was nearby. I've been to the shopping district before and when I heard that music through the phone, I did a little searching and found you."

"I see..."

I took a barley tea pot out of the fridge and poured it into a glass. The shining brown liquid rippled as I handed it to Jungkook, who took it with a smile and a, "Thanks," before drinking it.

I checked the time to see that it was exactly 3:30 PM. It was too soon for dinner. But it was after work for him, so there was a chance Jungkook was hungry. Maybe I could... ask him if he wanted a late snack? That way I could also pay him back for carrying my bags.

"Um, uh. Are you hungry, Jungkook? If you wanted, could we have a snack together?" I nervously asked him.

"Really?" He asked, his eyes bright. It made me really happy to see him so delighted before I even made it.

"Of course. I'll make it right now."

When I started making the snacks, I heard some mail drop into the mailbox in the entrance.

Our house's mailbox was relatively loud, so I thought about getting it replaced... but since my parents were overseas, I was stuck with this one.

I checked the mailbox after saying something to Jungkook and found a letter notifying of an inspection from the water company.

It seemed like the water will be shut off for a bit for the annual inspection.

It was fine since they didn't have to enter the house, but I wouldn't be able to use water. ...Or so that was written there.

"...Wait."

But, that's weird. The inspection should have taken place the day my parents left to go overseas.

A person from the water company even stopped by. He was wearing a hat so I couldn't really see his face, but he had a uniform and was holding a toolbox.

He was a kind person who even mentioned that I could go help my parents because he knew they needed to hurry to leave.

But written here was a notice for a yearly inspection. Why would they have another inspection so soon...?

"What's wrong?"

"Wah-"

I turned my head to see the Jungkook had moved next to me at some point. "Is that a postcard?" He asked, staring at the notice with a tilted head.

"I was wondering why there's another inspection even though they already came in the spring. Even though it says annual..."

"I see. Did they enter your house in the spring?"

"Yeah. It looked like they were checking everything..."

"Then maybe that's the difference. It says here that they'll shut off your water, but that didn't happen in the spring, right?"

"Yeah. I could use water."

"Then it was an inspection of individual equipment. But there are people who wear disquises to break into people's houses, so be careful from now on."

"Eh, really...?"

I was with my parents at that time, but it might have been dangerous if I was alone. The bankbook in my house or anything else might have been stolen...

"If there was already an inspection in the spring, then the next one they would have to shut off the water. Though, it might be bad if they have to come again in the fall. But I also had a water inspection in the spring, and nothing was stolen from you, right?"

It was true that nothing was stolen, so he was probably right. My nervousness from before disappeared.

After I thanked him, he said "Sorry, but do you mind if I use your restroom?" and turned in the direction of the bathroom.

"Sure, go ahead. I'll go make the snacks right away," I said and headed to the kitchen.

It was when I was washing my hands to start making our snacks that I realized something important.

I never told Jungkook where our restroom was.

I quickly left the kitchen and saw that the slippers I lent him were lined up outside the bathroom door. I quickly turned on my heel.

......What?

I wondered why Jungkook knew where the restroom was.

He headed in the right direction, but the door shouldn't have been that easy to understand.

My dad chose it because he didn't want it to be easily seen, but it was always causing trouble to guests because they didn't know where to go.

Well, it's fine. I think I've seen "It's order made!" for something like it before.

I returned to the kitchen, mood restored.