3: Letters and Thoughts

╒═══════════════════╕

Paper planes are fleeting
but they carry beautiful
memories between us.

╘═══════════════════╛

You expected to get a lot of whispers the moment you stepped foot in your school (after all, you did come looking like you were fresh out of the hospital).

But even your expectations didn't prepare you for the crowd that formed at your expense.

It was lunchtime, and the courtyard was surprisingly crowded.

Instead of going where the food was, a gaggle of third-year students, who were whispering loudly, followed as you sat on your usual bench. Normally you would have asked, "Aren't they being too obvious with their staring?" but you know better now.

In a country where you were taught to keep your head down and not stand out, it was easy to break someone by scoping them out among the crowd.

And that's what's happening to you right now.

They wanted you to break, to falter, to get ruined by the probing stares of theirs, because that was all that they could do without repercussions.

It's sad for them but funny for you, because how will you break if you had killed yourself a thousand times already? Can anything else crush you, you wonder?

So despite all those stares, you ate quietly and kept to yourself.

You were beginning to accept the jabbing stares by then, but in just a minute everything suspiciously turned quiet.

You should have minded your business. The sudden hushing of voices and giddy giggling should have been your number one sign to get up, leave, and never look back.

But have you ever hesitated in anything else after dying multiple times?

Yeah, exactly.

So, ignoring all the warnings in your mind, you raised your gaze and glanced past the third-year girls by the side. They were sending you a dirty look but you barely glanced at them. You just looked around the courtyard, and then it all happened fast—

Your eyes landed on someone, curt and straightforward.

Brown eyes, brown hair. He blinked when you caught him staring, but he didn't dare glance away. There was something in his appearance that mesmerized you, from the dip of his nose to the smoothness of his cheeks.

Then his lips moved into a small and almost invisible smile, and when you saw that familiar sight,

Oh, your eyes widened, and you felt your shoulders tense up.

It was Kaibara Sen— the one and only perfect guy in your middle school.

Good grades, good looks, good personality, and a powerful Quirk, you know how most cliche romance stories go: amidst the normal students exists a handsome young man that holds the attention of everyone.

That's Kaibara Sen.

He was the sort of person that everyone fell in love with as soon as they got to know him, he was the most handsome in the school (some of your classmates once compared him to a Disney prince), but more charming than that was his persistent ambition.

Kaibara Sen wanted to be a hero.

For three years in your last years as middle schoolers, he always made sure that the girls flirting and confessing to him knew he'd rather fight criminals on the loose than deal with their love. Maybe that's also why he's popular; people desire what's unreachable to them.