21: Expectations versus Reality

╒═══════════════════╕

Sometimes, we forget that
the future is everchanging.

╘═══════════════════╛

A rough grumbling greeted your ears when you stepped out of the locker room.

"They could have at least changed the color scheme," the voice said, annoyed and muffled. "Or, I don't know, maybe give me a chance to design my outfit. I could do something better than whatever this is. Ugh..."

Your eyes landed on a familiar silver-haired classmate sitting by the bench. Instead of their usual sly smile, Kuromi's lips pursed. Almost like a scowl, a sight that made your soul jolt out of your body.

Kuromi?? Scowling???

You saw it with your eyes, but you still couldn't even believe it.

Aside from their annoyance and their uncharacteristic scowl, there's something else that bothered you as you stared at your classmate.

Their hands shot up to their silver hair and ruffled it. "This is so frustrating!"

You hesitated and waited until Kuromi finished their 'messing up the hair' session, and when they did... "Uh... hello?"

Kuromi's gaze snapped to your direction so fast you almost thought you were a ghost ambushing them.

Instead of being afraid though, Kuromi glared. At you.

"Ookay, " you said, forming two finger guns and pointing them in the opposite direction. "I'm going to leave you alone then."

That reaction definitely showed you were not welcome here.

Just as you turned on your heels, Kuromi raised their hand. "Wai- wait! That glare wasn't for—... just give me a sec!"

You glanced back, watching how your classmate patted their unruly hair and fixed their tousled collar. Oh, you thought, eyes lowering down on their outfit. That's why there's a sense of unease within you.

It's because Kuromi is rid of their colorful and extravagant outfit. No lavender frills, no flowy cotton skirt, no umbrella, nothing.

Instead, they wore the opposite spectrum of their usual palette. Tight-fitting black shirt, black cargo pants, and instead of a cutesy umbrella, a camera of muted colors dangled on their arm. 

You blinked. "..Kuro-mi?"

Kuromi winced. They stopped midway from moving their camera's lace to their neck. "No offense, (L/n)-chan, but your joke sucks."

There's an edge in their voice, a tone so unusual it caught you off-guard once again.

"Your uniform—," you cleared your throat. "I mean, our uniform. It's not ugly. It uh looks good. On you."

When Kuromi raised their gaze to meet yours, you offered a smile, hoping that will cheer them up.

But they deadpanned instead. "You're thinking it's illegal to see me looking like this, huh?"

"No I wasn't," you rushed to say. "I just thought it's a bit..."

A bit unusual, a bit strange, a bit... not-so-used to whatever-this-sight is. It still suits you though, was what you said. Or at least tried to say, since your 'words' consisted of you gesturing maniacally up and down and sending a thumbs up at the end of your flailing hands.