5: Loneliness, and Nostalgia

warnings: mentions of bullying, description of vomiting blood, and fluff at the end.

╒═══════════════════╕

When I needed them the most, they were there. ❞

╘═══════════════════╛

You sat in a small, gray room with your hands on Kaibara's gakuran pockets.

The boy, who was now left wearing a plain white t-shirt and black slacks, paced back and forth outside the interrogation room.

"I hope you don't feel too stuffy in the room provided for us." Enter Tsukauchi Naomasa, a man in his thirties, with chopped dark brown hair hidden behind a cream bucket hat. He sat across you, folded hands, and a comforting smile. "It won't take too long. I'm just here to ask a couple of questions and then you'll be free to go."

But his words didn't do anything to rid of your attention from Kaibara's anxious movements. He wasn't the one being interrogated, so why was he so antsy, pacing back and forth like that? When Kaibara saw your gaze, he showed a thumbs up with a serious glint in his eyes. A silent comfort, assuming you needed one.

"I'm sure you're getting tired of this question already but I need to make sure," the detective said, successfully grabbing your attention. "Are you alright?"

"Yep, I'm fine."

He waited for you to continue. But you stayed quiet.

"... I guess it'll do both of us good to just be straight to the point. Do you know anything about this scheme from the people around you?"

You glanced at the detective's eyes. He held an unfathomable gaze, neither letting you see him as a threat nor was he trying to appear comforting enough for you to try and ignore him.

This was Tsukauchi Naomasa, the detective who survived two years into that dystopian world.

He exploited multiple villains during the time when the heroes were de-platformed. He was smart and cunning despite the friendliness of his smile and his soft gaze. Everyone thought he had a lie-detection Quirk that could see right through everyone's stories, but that's not the case. He was just perceptive. He was someone who can easily deduce the case given to him if given the chance to do so.

When All For One found out about that, he took advantage of it and tricked him with a messed up mind-game, leading him to his unjustified death.

This time, you'll be the one exploiting Tsukauchi Naomasa. But this time, he won't die on anyone's hands.

"I didn't actually know the whole scheme. I just overheard Tsukiko talk about going somewhere, and then I felt like something was wrong." It's not a big deal for a teenager to trust their instincts, right?

Tsukauchi hummed and wrote something down on his notes. "I see." He looked back at you with a slight analytical glint in his eyes. "The other student involved, Iwao Kasumi, told us that the suspect didn't tell her where she took you. So how did you know the location for you to tell Kaibara about it?"

There's the first grave question.

"I didn't hear Tsukiko talk with Iwao, but I did hear her use her phone once before club activity started," you lied, mixing it with enough truth in it.

Tsukiko did call someone before club activities started. You saw her after you rewound time. Whether she called the villain or another person unrelated to the case, you didn't know. But that didn't matter.