37: Back to School, Back to Stress

╒═══════════════════╕

Nothing is wrong, but you can't even trust yourself to believe.

╘═══════════════════╛

Class passed by in a blur... until you realized that you're just saying that because you wished it passed by in a blur.

You tried your best to pay attention to class— you really did, especially since it's Ectoplasm who's teaching at the moment. But how can you focus when there are stares darting back at you at every minute?

This feels really, really familiar, you thought, beads of sweat forming on your forehead.

Didn't you experience the same probing stares when you walked into your middle school class with bandages on your body?

If it was truly similar to that situation, you would be able to handle it... The gossiping whispers and the hushed conversations weren't something that you cared enough to nitpick on— not when you had other things to worry about, at least.

But this situation was familiar, not similar. Because the people around you didn't make any gossips about your sudden comeback to school. No, you would be so much better if they did talk about you in that way.

Instead, they were sending you looks of concern. Their eyes held curiosity, and when you met their eyes, they would mouth you words that showed their worry. Yaoyorozu even gave you her notes, saying it was the lesson that you missed yesterday. It made you feel... exposed. Vulnerable.

Why do they care so much? Is it because it's in their heroic nature to care for someone in this way? Maybe only a few people looked at you and you were just hallucinating the rest of the stares, but it still didn't make you feel any less exposed; they should save those looks for someone who is more deserving of their concern. Not you— you're perfectly fine. You even got discharged early from the hospital. You look perfectly fine to your standards.

It took a lot of your patience to fully ignore everything around you (even at the expense of ignoring your lesson), but soon, it was finally lunchtime.

Hagakure and the others approach you— they seem to have made a group already: her, Ashido, Kaminari, Sero, Kirishima, and even Ojiro were trailing after them, looking at you in expectations. Of course they invited you to go to lunch. And of course you declined, because you have to go to Recovery Girl for some brief check-up, and you also know that their interest on you would soon wane. After all, your week with 1-A is ending already. It wouldn't change a thing if you stopped hanging out around them for a while because it will soon happen anyway.

Thankfully (and almost guiltily on your part), they accepted your answer and wished you some great recovery.

With a bento in your hand and a doctor's slip on the other, you prepared to walk up to the nurse's office alone and quietly to yourself.

At least, you tried to.

"(L/n)-san! Please wait up!" a familiar voice called from behind you.

Turning your head, you saw a brown-haired girl hurrying toward you. Her usual soft features were now a mix of concern and determination, and you saw her pink cheeks turn redder as she finally caught up to you.

"Do..." Uraraka panted, her breath slightly labored from the effort to reach you in time. "Do you want to go together to Recovery Girl?!"

You blinked at her loud voice. And she seemed to have realized it, because she soon turned even redder at how her words had taken on a high-pitched tone for some reason.