four.

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter four.

"THIS IS BRAIN SURGERY, BUCK," Hen reminded him in hopes of igniting some ounce of patients from the man-child

Buck had been pacing around the two for longer than Hunter could care to recall. The pacing had been driving the blonde woman near insane, it only increased her own nerves. Watching as he moved aimlessly back and forth left her unsettled. Hen was scrolling through her phone, a small smile on her face before she turned to look at Hunter who sat next to her at the table reading a book while silently toying with her dog tags that hung around her neck.

"You know, when I first joined the 118 it wasn't like it is now," Hen started, "we didn't have a good captain, or any order really. But Chim was one of the first and only people to be nice to me here. He made me feel like I belonged."

Hunter nodded slowly, her standard frown etching on her face, "yeah, that sounds like the Chimney I know. Hen, he's gonna pull through. We both know he's too hard headed to let Buck outlive him."

Hen laughed at hunter's joke but turned serious again, "there's just nothing I can do, and it fucking sucks."

"I know," Hunter really did understand, she had been in the situation of not knowing if your best friend would live or die before. "But Chimney needs you, he can't get better if his support system is falling apart. You do more for that man than you'll ever know."

Hen didn't make much effort to respond, but did offer a bittersweet smile. She hadn't heard such a comforting voice from the blonde before, it was a different side of the Callahan woman. Maybe it was her soft side showing through, the part of her that wanted to accept the 118 as her family but she was too stubborn to do so. Admittedly, she cared for Hen which is something she said she'd never do for a member of the 118.

Buck had stopped pacing, but only to pick up his phone. Hunter took note of the small smile on his face as he was talking. All three of them were interrupted by the ringing of the bell.