nineteen

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter nineteen.

"I THINK THERE'S ENOUGH ROOM

"I THINK THERE'S ENOUGH ROOM. We can slide a backboard under here and get her out,"  buck said while looking under the car. The woman had been run over and was still stuck under the vehicle.

"Okay, c-can you tell me your name?" Hunter asked as she knelt on the ground while helping Buck slide her on the backboard.

"Lorraine."

"Hey, wait. Don't we know you?" Athena asked

"Uh, no, I don't... I don't, I don't think so," she stuttered

"Last year, Hancock Park," hen clarified.

"That's right. I never forget a femur," chimney said with a chuckle.

"It's the damned Porch Pirate," Athena said while shaking her head, "Guess you moved up from porches to parking lots, huh, Lorraine? What's your scam?"

"I... I don't know what you are talking about," she tried to defend herself as she faked pain.

"I went to my court-mandated treatment. I'm completely cured," Lorraine said, "uh, Haven't stole a package in months."

"Mm-hmm. I heard you settled with that homeowner," Athena mentioned.

"The house she fell in front of when she was package stealing?" Hunter asked, confused.

"Yeah, didn't realize you could sue someone for being injured during the commission of a felony," chimney said, looking back at Hunter.

"Pled down to a misdemeanor."

"Insurance companies are happy to settle instead of going to court," the cop mentioned, "Insurance companies are less happy about fraud. And I got three witnesses who claim you intentionally stepped out behind that poor woman's car. Makes me wonder what I might find when I pull the security footage from this parking lot."

"I think you'll find a woman suffering with mobility issues. Lot of trouble walking since that fall on the steps," Lorraine argued, "You know, I wonder if it's because I received improper care on the scene," she said with an accusing eye pointed at Hen