forty

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter forty.

"Firefighter Callahan, is it true that you and Mr

"Firefighter Callahan, is it true that you and Mr. Buckley were injured in the same accident the resulted in him being terminated?"

Hunter rolled her eyes. She once said a lawyer would never work with Evan Buckley, and boy, she couldn't have been more wrong, "I don't know, why don't you ask him?" she retorted with a low and gruff voice before continuing, "And it is my understanding that the accident itself did not result in his termination, hell, there never was a termination. The actions and attitude of your client that followed the accident is what landed him desk duty."

Changing the topic, the lawyer asked her, "How long until you were able to return to full duty?"

"Fully duty action was continued four and a half months after the accident."

Hunter was oddly good at maintaining a vague presence, much to the annoyance of the Buckley's lawyer. She seemed to be finding too much joy in pissing men off, especially when they thought they were better than her— she was a Callahan after all, her ego was practically bred into her DNA.

"And why is it that you were able to return before my client?"

Hunter furrowed her eyebrows with a struck look on her face, wondering if he was serious, "Well, we had different recovery times and regimes- I actually listened to mine."

The rising anger in her face was evident. Growing more passionate about the topic. She wasn't here to hurt Buck's but if that's what needed to be done in order to protect her captain , so be it.

"What about before you joined the 118?" the lawyer asked, pulling out a folding and throwing it across the table in front of Hunter and the departmental lawyer next to her, "Let's take a look at your time in the marines."

"No. Thank you, though," she said while tossing the folding back at the man, it sliding off the table and hitting Buck who held a sad frown while Hunter glared at him. It was taking all of her strength not to reach across the table and pull the man by his collar and ask what the hell was wrong with him. Buck could tell too, the clenched jaw and hand that gripped the chair as a tell-tale sign the blonde was less than happy.