thirty nine

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter thirty nine.

Hunter and Eddie laid across on the couch of the firehouse, each had a head on an armrest while their legs hit at each other's chests

"It's just when he wakes up crying— and I can't help him. I just don't know what to do," Eddie said as he brought a calloused hand to brush over his face with frustration and worry.

"He's a kid, something like that is going to take a toll on him," Hunter tried to explain with a sigh, "and he saw a lot that day."

"But I can't help him," the Diaz spat out, "he won't open up to me."

"Eds, he probably doesn't want to talk about it. The reliving it— I'm sure you understand the part," she spoke to him softly.

"But it's not going to get better if he keeps going like this."

"Eds," she said again to him, "I don't know if I'm much help here. I don't know how to parent and I sure as hell never figured out how to deal with trauma."

"What would your dad have said to you? Would it help Chris?"

Hunter laughed as she shook her head, "let's see, you probably shouldn't tell you son 'Callahan's don't cry. Keep that damn head up, people die everyday," Hunter imitated her fathers voice, "but then again, this is the guy that taught me how to kill people so maybe you shouldn't take that advice."

That had gotten Eddie to crack a smile as he looked over at his friend, "yeah, maybe that's not the best idea."

"How about this," Hunter said as she sat up to face the man, "take him to buck. They went through he same thing."

Eddie nodded his head, thinking about the idea. It made sense, they had both went through the same trauma. If Christopher was to open up to anyone, it would most likely be Buck if not Eddie. Besides, Hunter knew that Buck himself had been struggling to get a good nights sleep.

"Uh oh, the hall monitors here," hen called from the kitchen as she looked at the entrance. The man in question from earlier strode brightly in with a smile and clipboard in hand. Hunter was convinced he would never let that thing go after his stint as fire marshal was over. Fire Marshal Buckley was almost as bad as Fire Captain Han.