XCVIII. Dumbledore's prophecy

I stand in the headmasters office next to Harry as dumbledore sits at his desk, looking down at the papers scattered on his desk in thought.

"Potters, glad you found the time to come up here. Sit down, sit down." Dumbledore requests kindly as I sit in one of the chairs across from him along with Harry.

"Did you need anything, Professor?" I ask as dumbledore smiles sadly.

"Unfortunately, Voldemort got his hands on a prophecy. One about the three of you."

"A prophecy?" I ask, faking ignorance as dumbledore nods.

"Yes, I didn't want to have to tell you the prophecy while you two were still so young but it seems I have no other choice."

I look at the man confused, was he really about to tell us the prophecy? Anyone with two brain cells could figure out that we didn't have to kill eachother.

"The prophecy repeats as this...

The ones with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...
born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...
and the Dark Lord will mark them as his equals, but they will have power the Dark Lord knows not...
and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...
the ones with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...."

I pursed my mouth shut, dumbledore changed the entire fourth line so we thought we had to kill Voldemort.

"My apologies Professor but how can you be sure that this prophecy is referring to us and Voldemort?" I ask the professor as he looks at us sadly.

"Well it's pretty clear is it not? You two were born 'as the seventh month dies' such as the prophecy predicted. And the dark lord part can only be referring to Voldemort." Dumbledore explains with a melancholy smile.

"It didn't specify what year the people in the prophecy was born, for all we know, this could predict something happening in 1000 years from now. Even if it was referring to present day, it didn't specify what calendar the seventh month is. In other calendars, we were born in completely different months. Plus there are plenty of dark lords around the world, in fact, I'm pretty sure china is dealing with a fairly powerful dark lord right now."

Dumbledore stayed still, clearly not knowing what to say. After a moment, he responded, "I understand if your scared to face the truth, but none of those possibilities could be correct."

"Why not?" I ask as dumbledore sighs, shaking his head.

"It's just simply can't be true." Dumbledore responds as I sigh, nodding.

"My apologies headmaster, I didn't mean to accuse you of being wrong... I'm just scared." I lie as I let a small amount of fear dawn on my face.

"I understand, now, you two should get back to packing." Dumbledore dismisses us with a smile as I nod, leaving the room along with Harry.

As soon as the door shut I let a look of irritation cross my face.

"I hate him so much!" I murmur angrily as Harry snickers.

"Agreed."