School... Start!

You were nervous to start school. You were used to simply observing things from the orphanage or from somewhere outside, usually at the park. But to actually be going to a place of learning? You were nervous. More nervous than you've ever been in your entire life. But that's not saying much, considering you're not 6 just yet. You will be turning 6 within this school year though, as do all kids when going into their first year of school.

When entering the class, you were alone. And yet, all the other students had at least 1 family member with them. It made you feel lonelier and even more unloved than how you usually felt.

Well, that was until a certain little boy came up to you with a big smile while running away from his family. "Y/n!"

You turned to see Osamu, giving him a small smile. "Osamu!"

He quickly wrapped his arms around you, pulling you close. "I missed you so much! It's been so long! I didn't think I'd ever see you again!"

You giggled, hugging him back. "We were bound to see each other again at some point. School just happened to be the best place to start."

He giggled, nuzzling his face against yours. "Guess so. But ya always speak like a grown up! Ya don't need school, do ya?"

"I do. Everyone does. I may be observant and can learn quickly, but I still need a proper education. Just like everyone else."

He blinked a few times, not fully understanding everything you said. "Ya used a few big words."

"I'll teach them to you later."

He gave a bright smile. "Ok!"

Little did either of you know, there was a certain boy watching you. And this little boy was fuming that you had all his brother's attention.

Miya Atsumu hadn't known what jealousy was, nor had he ever felt it. But that all changed when he saw you being the center of his twin's attention instead of him.

And you, having not had family or friends prior to Osamu, didn't understand that you practically stole Osamu from Atsumu. But at the same time, you would've been alone if Osamu hadn't befriended you.

"Osamu."

You turned to see his twin. "Hello." You spoke shyly, still a little wary of him after your first encounter with the twins.

Atsumu glared at you before turning to his brother. "Why'd ya run off? Ya barely said bye to ma."

Osamu shrugged, sticking close to you. "I saw my friend. This is Y/n."

You try giving a small smile. "Nice to meet you. Osamu talked about you a bit."

"He hasn't said a word about ya." Atsumu kept the frown on his face.

Osamu took hold of your hand, giving you a warm smile. "She's my best friend, Atsumu. Please be nice to her."

"Why aren't yer parents here with ya?"

You look down. "I don't have any...."

"Atsumu, don't be mean." Osamu gave your hand a light squeeze, trying to comfort you.

Atsumu huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "How can ya take her side when I'm yer twin? Who even is she?"

"I already said she's my best friend, Atsumu. Her name is Y/n."

This didn't cheer Atsumu up. "But why waste time on a girl? We're twins. We should stick together!"

Your heart dropped. You felt like crying, fearing that your only friend was about to leave you.

Osamu, however, didn't feel the same as his twin. "We can still make friends, Atsumu. You should be friends with Y/n, too!"

Atsumu huffed. "Fine. I'll try."

You smile, thinking you've made another friend. "Let's be good friends, Atsumu."

Osamu smiled, thinking it was great how you wanted to be friends with his twin. "See? Everything's ok."

Atsumu, though he'd pretend to be your friend around Osamu, had no real intention of being genuinely kind to you. "Yeah, let's be friends."

***

You sat at a table with the Miya twins and a girl named Misako Rei. Rei was nice, though Atsumu spoke to her more than you or Osamu did. You were nervous, only speaking to her if she started talking to you. Osamu didn't really care about anyone other than you, making sure you had almost all of his attention - when he didn't need to focus in class or get distracted by his twin.

Osamu raised his hand. "Teacher, can I go to the bathroom?"

"Yes, Osamu-kun." The teacher went back to writing something at her desk.

Osamu left, and you were left sitting with Atsumu glaring at you.

"S-so, Atsumu, what do you like to do for fun?" You wore a nervous smile but desperately tried to remain polite and kind to the boy.

He snorted. "Why should I tell ya? Yer not my friend."

"B-but, Osamu...."

"Who cares. He's my twin. Not yers. Stop tryna take him."

You flinched, having just now realized that Atsumu wasn't gonna like you at all. "I'm sorry."

Rei chimed in, a cute little smile on her face. "Don't worry, Y/n. My mom said boys act mean when they like girls. I think Atsumu actually likes you, even if he doesn't show it."

You doubted what this kid said. "I see...."

Osamu returned. "I'm back!" He beamed at you.

You offer a weak smile to him. "Welcome back."

He chuckles. "So, when are ya gonna teach me big words?"

"Um, maybe later?"

"Hey, do ya wanna come to my house? Ya can teach me then!"

You nervously glance at Atsumu briefly, seeing him look angry. "I dunno...."

Osamu gave puppy dog eyes, a pleading expression of his face. "Please?"

You sigh, not wanting to make him sad. "Ok, I can go to your house and teach you big words."

"Yay!" Once again, the twin beamed.

Atsumu looked on the verge of fuming. "Why invite her over?"

"Cuz we're friends, and that's why friends do!"

You knew, at that moment, that this was going to be a long day.