Getting Older

Your alarm goes off. You sigh. You quickly turn it off. You pray, like always, that it wasn't loud enough for Atsumu to hear.

You get out of bed. You look at your uniform. You sigh once more.

Were you looking forward to starting middle school? No.

Did you know Atsumu's bullying was gonna get even worse? Yes.

Reluctantly, you get out of bed and start getting dressed. You looked at yourself in the mirror. "I really do look like I'm growing up. Maybe Atsumu's hormones will change, and he'll start crushing on me instead of terrorizing me."

This was just hope. You knew he wouldn't change, at least not that easily.

You appreciated that Osamu was still as kind as always to you. It made you feel happier knowing someone was always there for you. You wondered what middle school would bring to you and your best friend.

You leave your room, trying to be as quiet as possible to not gain any attention from Atsumu. You quickly make your way to the kitchen, where Mrs. Miya was already making breakfast.

You smile at the woman. "Good morning, mom."

She turns to you, a huge smile on her face. "Good morning, Y/n. Did you sleep well?"

"As well as I could. I'm a little nervous about starting middle school."

"I understand. This is a pretty big step for you kids. Do you need any motherly advice?"

You nod. "I would love some of your wisdom."

She sighs, a smile still on her face. "Then let's cook together and I can give you as much advice as I can give."

You walk over to the counter, standing beside your adopted mother. You help her make breakfast and lunches for the entire family.

"You're getting older, and your body is maturing...."

You look over at her, a brow raised. "Where are you going with this? Is it another sex talk?"

"Oh, heavens! No! I didn't mean it like that! I'm tryna say that boys are gonna start looking at you more."

"Are you sure this isn't about sex?"

"I'm talking about a romantic sense. You need to always come to me whenever there's any kind of development in your love life."

"Who else would I go to? Atsumu?"

Mrs. Miya laughed. "You've got a point there. At least I know one child in this house will come to me to share their life."

You chuckle. "You took me into your home when I was a child, of course I'm gonna come to you whenever something happens. Why do you think I always come to you for advice?"

"Fair. Just... be careful in middle school. Things can always get hard."

"You're not worried about my grades, are you?"

"Of course not! You're a great student. You learn quickly and do well all on your own. I worry more about my sons than I worry about you, when it comes to grades."

"The twins aren't terrible in school, though."

"It's passing, so I consider it good enough."

"What are you two talking about so early?"

You whip around at the sound of that familiar voice, coming face-to-face with Atsumu. "Just things to expect for middle school."

He snorted. "Whatever. Just don't get in my way. Don't act like ya know me, I don't want people thinking I know ya."

"I'll avoid you like the plague."

"And don't distract me or Samu. We'll be busy with volleyball and need to focus." His voice was laced with venom.

You nod, keeping your back against the counter. "I won't bother you two. Volleyball is important, you two need to focus all your energy on it."

"Good. Now shut up. I don't wanna hear ya speak. Hearing your voice is worse than hearing nails on a chalkboard."

You remained silent, quickly turning around and helping Mrs. Miya with making food once more.

Osamu came down to the kitchen just as you and the twins' mother started setting food on the table.

"Thank ya, Y/n." He gives a big smile.

You smile back. "It's no problem. But we should hurry, we'll need to leave for school soon."

He nodded, beginning to eat his food somewhat quickly.

Mrs. Miya watches as her sons eat their food. "Slow down! You two are gonna choke if you keep eating that fast!"

You chuckle, having finished your own breakfast. You clean up your dishes and walk to the front door, where Mr. Miya is holding your bag for you.

You smile and thank him, hand on the doorknob.

"You sure you don't want to wait for the boys? Or, at least lemme give ya a ride."

You shake your head. "I'll be fine, thank you, though."

He nods. "Thought I'd offer. Try to have a good first day."

"Thanks, I'll try."

And off you went to school. Alone.

"Y/n!"

You look over and see a pink-faced Osamu. You smile at him. "Hey. What's up?"

"Lunch?"

"You're not eating with Atsumu?"

He shakes his head. "You walked by yourself, so I'm spending lunch with you." He smiles brightly at you.

You let out a breath. "You really want to spend the time with me?"

"Yes." He gave puppy eyes.

You giggle. "Alright, let's eat together then."

His smile somehow got a little bigger. "Yes! Let's go eat, Y/n!"

Before you could say anything else, Osamu grabs your hand and pulls you out of your classroom. Happily, you two find a place and ear your lunches together.